Quantcast

Best decision ever.....JUST DO IT !!!

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
I'm not going to resurrect an old thread that I posted but I will post this thread without any shame what-so-ever....

My previous thread was about the flight instruction that I was receiving and several issues that I had pertaining to the experience.......
1. Instructor was constantly late,not prepared or cancelled.
2. He wasn't moving me along the syllabus and checking tasks off...at all !
3. While flying with me he was always on his phone.
4. He signed my logbook for solo flight and didn't stay around to watch me fly.
5. He has never taken the initiative to reach out to me to see if I have been flying or even to just ask how I was doing...not one single time...even though I was flying under his signature and he is responsible for my actions.
6. He had no experience in my aircraft type and I was teaching him how to fly my aircraft.
7. Etc.......etc.....etc.

I thought my difficulties with the flight instruction were due to my own issues..but I was wrong..VERY WRONG !
Two other individuals based at my home field have been going through flight instruction at the same airfield as myself and they are having major issues as well with their CFI's...3 different CFI'S between us...but the other 2 trained by my CFI.
We each have our own aircraft and are based at the same home field...we all take instruction at the other airfield because the instructors will not fly out of our home field....a grass strip scares the hell out of them.

Well......long story short.
After much begging & pleading with a retired CFI and good friend from my home field....he has come out of retirement and is going to get all of us through our check rides.
I have learned more in 3 hours and knocked many items off the syllabus with this man then I did in 1.5 years battling with the other CFI .
The other CFI beat me down so much with his bullsh*t and almost had me to the point that I was about to give up on earning my PPL....I was banging my head against a wall with him.
NOW I AM EXCITED ABOUT EARNING MY PPL AGAIN....thanks to my friend coming out of retirement for us.

My advice to anyone having difficulty with their CFI.......kick his/her *ss to the curb....quickly !!!
They are your employee and should be reminded of that fact on a regular basis....

Having fun again while earning my PPL........
BEST DECISION EVER .... !!!!
I'M LOVING AVIATION AGAIN !!!!!!!!

Kevin

Last edited:

Tiger Tim

Congrats on getting your groove back! Fostering the love of flying is how I approach instruction and it’s never failed. Learning to fly is a long road and if it’s for recreation it’s totally pointless and redundant if you don’t like what you’re doing. Now that you’re back I recommend you fly lots, and the good news I see it won’t be a chore anymore.

My advice to anyone having difficulty with their CFI.......kick his/her *ss to the curb....quickly !!!
For your old instructor, absolutely. For everyone else, approach it case by case. I have known some very talented instructors who had a hard time connecting with otherwise very bright students just because of non-mixing personality types. It was nobody’s fault in these cases and with a change in dance partners they all went back to thriving. I think you did the right thing MadProfessor but your situation is just one data point in many, as are my examples.

They are your employee and should be reminded of that fact on a regular basis....
Don’t forget that an employee has a right to quit.

pwood66889

IMHO, the CFI is there to keep one alive until what to look for is discovered. I went through 2 before I lucked into one that did the job.
Like one's physician, this person is just a hired hand, and one should not feel bad about having to switch. Finding a workable setup is another story!

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Tiger Tim.........I totally agree with several points that you made,whole heartedly .

I believe that each situation really should be taken on a case by case basis.

For me.....I tried my best for a year and a half to bite my tongue and go along with the program thinking that I was the problem.
But when 2 other individuals in the exact same situation as myself encountered the exact same issues....that was the straw that tipped the scales.
And when our CFI friend agreed to come out of retirement......well,I was no longer scared of burning that particular bridge.
As a matter of fact....I did it with great joy knowing that with the bridge burnt...the bullsh*t couldn't follow behind me anymore.
But....that's just my situation....everyone elses mileage may vary.

And you are also correct in pointing out that an employee has the right to quit.
But does an employer really want an employee around that doesn't earn their keep ????
Sorry...I've been a boss too long wrangling my group of delinquents every day....my mindset is sorta stearn on particular issues.....lol

Kevin

rbarnes

My PPL training was a joke too. I went through 5 instructors in 1 year. Lucked out with my instrument rating and got a no excuses perfectionist.

Derswede

My instructor could not wait for me to solo....he was on the flight line as well. Said I disappointed him after solo. ( He did have a video camera ready..!!)

Derswede

BJC

HBA Supporter
It is a mistake to conflate piloting certification with teaching skills. All CFI’s have the certification; not many have the teaching skills. I believe (but have no quantifiable data to prove it) that the absence of teaching skills is the root cause of the majority of cases of not completing pilot training.

The instructor from whom I learned all types of spins in a Pitts, was one of the two best instructor that I have flown with. He instructed because he loved it, not because he was trying to build time or earn a living with it. When I flew with him, he had over 8,000 hours instructing in the Pitts. His name was Bill Thomas. The other, who did it for a living, is my neighbor, Steve Wolf, who also has tons of instructional time in a Pitts.

BJC

TFF

There are CFIs that are CFIs, there are CFIs that only care about building time, and there are CFIs that are license collectors. There is usually a mix of those traits in everyone, but helpful means you have to teach something.

I will note that ground school items without a real 141 school is self learning overall. The CFI is really only good to answer questions for stuff that’s hard to understand. They should though be able to make you understand the concept though.

Depending on who will be your examiner, spending money on an hour of their time to understand what is important to them is money well spent. They will size you up and you can them, off the record. I was able to ask a couple of questions that he knew I knew about, but the nuance was the key.

Soliex

HBA Supporter
I received most of my instruction in Alabama and found a retired CFI as well; he charged me $25/hr plus $50 for the BE77. He was very thorough and at times I thought he had a death wish!

BJC

HBA Supporter
I received most of my instruction in Alabama and found a retired CFI as well; he charged me $25/hr plus $50 for the BE77.
Wow, it sure has gotten expensive. My instruction was $4 per hour, and the 7AC was also $4 per hour, wet.

Times change.

BJC

billyvray

Can I come live with you?
No really, I can cook, I'm pretty handy....:)

It is a mistake to conflate piloting certification with teaching skills. All CFI’s have the certification; not many have the teaching skills. I believe (but have no quantifiable data to prove it) that the absence of teaching skills is the root cause of the majority of cases of not completing pilot training.

The instructor from whom I learned all types of spins in a Pitts, was one of the two best instructor that I have flown with. He instructed because he loved it, not because he was trying to build time or earn a living with it. When I flew with him, he had over 8,000 hours instructing in the Pitts. His name was Bill Thomas. The other, who did it for a living, is my neighbor, Steve Wolf, who also has tons of instructional time in a Pitts.

BJC

n6233u

HBA Supporter
I had one of those young "time collector" CFI's wasting my hours to go commercial, we spent lots of hours (40+) flying the same pattern and/or occasionally doing maneuvers. One day we went to the practice area and did maneuvers, but he (we?) didn't check for TFRs and managed to bust one. Needless to say his CFI was suspended so I started looking for another CFI. That's when I found an older CFI that was more focused on getting new pilots proficient and thru their checkride, he didn't need any more hours and did it for the love of instructing. It only took me 10 hrs to finish up, and most of that time was doing X-country flights.