Best cylinder choice

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Dana LaBounty

Looking for input. My AEIO-360-B1G6 is out for overhaul and I need to decide what cylinders to go with. Humid climate here in South Carolina and I can't promise the airplane will get flown more than a couple hours a month. It may very well get flown a bunch more but sometimes life gets in the way. Do I get used Lycoming cylinders Nu-Chrome overhaul, Titan nickel or steel bores by Lycoming or Superior? Too many choices for my weak mind. Any ideas, suggestions, comments?

TFF

New Lycoming would be my choice. Worried about rust, make exhaust and intake plugs. Breather too. Just make sure you don’t forget them before takeoff. Chrome won’t rust, but it’s not the best cylinder, even if my engine has them; they are a fix. I have always lived in the south. Most of it near the Mississippi River. You are ten years away from what the worst rust damage will do with a new engine, and you won’t have that. Keep clean oil in it is the best thing you can do. I roll my eyes when someone wants 5 more hours out of their oil. What most people should do is get rid of 5 hours. Especially if it’s a pet. If it’s going to sit, change the oil. Then it’s not sitting in contaminants.