Quantcast

Best bang for the buck using 1/2 VW.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Jimboagogo

Since weight, maximum speed, and stall speeds are defined in Part 103 it would seem that one of the last measures of performance would be climb rate. Of course, I would want to go up to the maximum speed .....while sipping 2 to 3 gals of gas per hour .......but with a limit of 5 gals.....how long can you fly and how far can you go? I'm glad we have ability to fly under Part 103 rules and can have something that is more than just a powered kite.

I guess what I am really interested in knowing is this; Which airframe can maximize a 1/2 VW performance and provide the operator with an a good experience in efficiency, reliability, speed, climb rate, etc......pick the performance factor that suits your mission.

The Hummel Ultracruiser appears to be in the top of the list, so far.
I would guess you can't beat putting that into a motorglider and go as far as you want.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Although ive not seen one so equipped maybe a Kolb firefly. Unfortunately it looks like Kolb is in the early stage of going out of business (Their website says they have “paused” all production due to economic uncertainty).
That sucks. Kolb should not go out of business. Their Firefly is a 103 legal airplane that apparently does really well. If I had any significant money I'd rescue Bryan in a heartbeat.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pretty sure somebody built a Firefly with a half VW, or maybe it was a Firefly.

GeeZee

Strongly agree it would be a shame if Kolb went out of business. It’s probably my fault. Murphy is out to get me. I had just decided the Firefly was “the one” and was going to order a kit around Sun-N-Fun timeframe.....

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unfortunately it looks like Kolb is in the early stage of going out of business (Their website says they have “paused” all production due to economic uncertainty).
Don't count them out yet. What they said is:
"With the uncertainty and fluctuations in the economy, effective immediately we are pausing new kit orders. We will continue to fully offer parts, repair and service."

GeeZee

Not counting them out yet at all but if they are also “pausing“ the employees paychecks those employees are going to move on. Hiring/Training new employees will make it that much harder to restart production. As VB says the Kolbs are way too nice to go away. Worst case surely someone will come in and revive the company (Either by buying it or infusing the money needed to get through these “interesting“ times).
Since we are way off topic already....I noticed the wing kit includes the “plans”. Does anyone know if said plans are detailed enough to build the rest of the aircraft?