• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Best Bang for the Buck STOL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMC227

Hi all. Would like some opinions. I have mine that I'll share but I'd love to know yours and why you feel this way.

I've been looking long and hard for a scratch build STOL plane. There's really not a lot to choose from (at least for me) because price is an issue too, as is customer support and length of time building. Needs to be LSA capable and have a scratch build option.

So I guess I've narrowed it down to three manufactures and 4 planes in no particular order.

First off is the Zenith CH701. Downside is the limited useful load compared to others. Upsides are: lot's of them flying, good support and very good performance, especially solo. Get enough ponies up front and it really gets up quick. I would probably go with a Yamaha Apex but I can't wait to see one fitted with a Verner Radial. But the limited carrying capacity is a big deal. Sub kits available for purchase. I'm not sure about individual parts.

Next up is the CH750. Can be built LSA or Experimental with a 1440 gross IIRC. Handles the passenger situation and lots of people building and flying this plane as well. I'm not sure the performance would ever match it's little brother but I'm not sure that most people can either fly the difference or have the "stones" to fly in places where it would make a difference. Bigger plane, more expensive to build. Same engine choices as above in addition to certified engine choices for those that prefer those options. Sub kits available for purchase. I'm not sure about individual parts.

Next is the Bearhawk LSA. Probably the longest build time of any option listed. Superb design and although it has no flaps, can slip in to some tight areas according to owners. Best cruise. Can be built to Experimental at 1500 gross. C-85, C-90, O-200 all very good options. Superb support with lost of parts available to purchase if the builder is limited in skill, tooling or time. Downside is the plane is more complicated IMO than the others and therefore has a much longer build time. But it's sleek and beautiful.

Last is one not considered a STOL plane per se but I think it can and should make the list. Leonard Milholland's Legal Eagle and Double Eagle/Cabin Eagle. Not the prettiest chick at the dance but they look very simple to build. And if fitted with a proper sized Verner Radial (like these Legal Eagles) Leonard's plane is by far the least expensive to build and along with the Bearhawk has no flaps. So it may not land on a dime but I think it'll do okay, especially fitted with the right gear, tires and brakes.

My favorite of the bunch is the Bearhawk LSA. But I'm also the most concerned about it as a first time builder. When I ask about scratch building on the Bearhawk forum, most say to buy the kit. I'm looking at probably a 3-5 year commitment to build. I believe I can get 10-15 hours per week to build.

But I'm not in love enough with the Bearhawk to risk an unwise decision. I think I could get a CH750 in the air in 2-3 years at the stated rate. Maybe quicker. It looks easier to build. Same for the 701.

I'm leaning away from the Double Eagle a bit. I would have to have a beefier gear and that would add time. As would the engine mounts for the Verner but it'll be that way with most builders that wish to use that engine. Scale Birds is a dealer and said they design one.

So what are your opinions. It's gotta be LSA compatible.

Thanks,
Paul

Back