• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Best Age to Start Building With My Kids?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayKoit

Hi Everyone,

I've been dormant for a while around here, been really busy with three younguns and a full time job....I also finally got some flight training in, broke the 15 hour mark and hope to get my Sport ticket soon.

Speaking of younguns, have any of you done any building with your children? If so what's the youngest age you got them started? I have a 5 and almost 4 year old, and they really want to build a plane with me, but they're still pretty young and therefore can't hold concentration for very long, we just spent three hours building a model of a jet engine (because my 4 year old loves them) but they had to take several breaks throughout to go play, get snacks, etc. so I'm not sure they're ready, however, I guess we can go as slow as we need to at this point and cover more ground as they get older...

I'm thinking wood is probably the best to start them on, but I'll take any thoughts on the subject. Just seems like an easy medium to work with: measuring, clamping, gluing, sanding, even hand sawing (if a less crucial part can be made by doing so). I'm strongly leaning toward a Fisher Dakota Hawk or Horizon at this point since it seems like a there's lots of support, quick build options, great plans and videos, and the wings fold (we have a ranch to store the plane and we're only 200 yards from the airport entrance, so it would be pretty easy to tow it over).

Anyway, if any parents out there have done any successful building with their kids I'd love to hear their stories & feedback. Thanks!

Back