• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Bent longeron repair and covering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arfang

Supporting Member
Good day,

Following the discussion about structural repair in my K8J thread, I decided to create a new thread dedicated to the following issue:

There is a bent longeron on the bottom of the tail section, I'm unable to access it without removing the covering.

20181012_145651.jpg20181010_183411.jpg

I found an online discussion started by someone with the same issue. Both top longerons on his Kitfox were bent. People recommended to check for cracks and then straighten the longerons back to their original shape. The method is described in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd3sw0OppWM

I've built a tool to straighten the tube like shown in the video, the longeron is only bent about less than 1/2in over a 15in length but my main concern is about fabric. In the same discussion I mentioned, someone wrote that it is possible to remove the fabric without cutting it by peeling it off from one side where there is an overlap. Would it be a viable solution? If yes, how should I proceed? I'm asking this because fabric covering is something I've never worked with, the simpler the better, but if the more experienced members think it's better to cut and patch then I'll learn how to do it properly.

Here are pictures of the structure and the overlap (two actually if I'm not mistaken), the bent longeron is located at the bottom of the second bay in the second picture:

Ka8-Frame_gebogen.jpg20181012_145749.jpgbottom.jpgupperleft.jpg20181019_004747.jpg

Any ideas and comments are welcome as always.

Last edited:
Back