Bendix RSA10ED1 Flex Coupling

Discussion in 'Firewall Forward / Props / Fuel system' started by HomeBuilt101, Jun 12, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 12, 2019 #1

HomeBuilt101

HomeBuilt101

HomeBuilt101

Greetings,

I have a Bendix RSA unit and since the engine is turbocharged there are a lot of aluminum pipes that lead to the Bendix. All of the pipes from the air filter to the turbocharger, to the intercooler are aftermarket automotive aluminum pipes and silicone couplers with the spring loaded stainless T-Bolt clamps sourced from Amazon Aircraft Supply and I am very happy with all of this stuff.

What I am NOT happy with is the final coupling that connects these pipes to the opening of the Bendix. What I have now is the aluminum pipe and a silicone coupling but the problem is that there is not enough room on the Bendix throat to connect a T-Bolt band clamp...the width of the band clamp is too thick. I tried a worm gear band clamp that is a thinner width but now the silicone coupler looks like it wants to pop off.

What is the OEM connector from the last pipe to the Bendix?

What is other people using for this last stretch of pipe?

Still getting the engine installed...a bunch of life keep getting in the way of my airplane project!!!

2. Jun 14, 2019 #2

HomeBuilt101

HomeBuilt101

HomeBuilt101

Ahhh... just got the chance to go online and was excited to see all of the results of my question from my cyber airplane friends however it made me sad inside when I discovered there wasn't a single response

:(

If anybody could please let me know what kind of contraption connects the fresh air tubes on who designed airplane to the Bendix I would appreciate it

3. Jun 14, 2019 #3

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

I think that is the "fuel control" for my 200HP Lycoming IO360 Mooney ......Lots of RV use that engine. It is also in the Piper Arrow. If that sounds right and you can not look under the hood at the local airport I can send you a picture of my set up...But re-reading your post I am not sure if you are talking about a "fuel controller" or not . For some reason on an injected engine it is a "fuel control" and not a "carburetor".

4. Jun 15, 2019 #4

TFF

TFF

TFF

Into the Bendix on the turbo helicopters I work on, the aluminum tube has a flange welded on so it can be bolted to the Bendix inlet. The other side has the flexible coupling.

proppastie likes this.
  5. Jun 15, 2019 #5

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

It is so amazing to me that someone that can build an aircraft,overhaul/mount an engine, and everything we are doing .....and does not have the time to take and mount a few pictures. I guess I am upset because my answer was so lame

6. Jun 16, 2019 #6

HomeBuilt101

HomeBuilt101

HomeBuilt101

Thanks for the replies...my inside sad face has been turned right side up.

>It is so amazing to me that someone that can build an aircraft,overhaul/mount an engine, and everything we are doing .....and does not have the time to take and mount a few pictures.

Ooopppsss...my inside happy face has turned upside down again...Sniff...sniff

Here are some pictures...

The opening of the Bendix looks like...well...the opening of a Bendix.

The aluminum intake pipe looks like...well...an aluminum pipe...

Just kidding and I am sorry that I do not have any pictures...I am on a 1.5 month long business trip and I do not have the airplane with me to take any pictures...

So I guess the question is...since my Google search was fruitless...what do the OEMs do to attach a Bendix to the intake pipes...some kind of V clamp

Attached Files:

7. Jun 16, 2019 #7

TFF

TFF

TFF

That looks like a V band setup. Most RSA have a flange and bolts. Have someone duplicate your flange and weld it to the aluminum tube of your choice. Add v band clamp.

8. Jun 17, 2019 #8

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

This is an RSA10... The big boy. No bolt on flange like the toy airplanes have.

That said, a standard clamp of your choice should hold the coupler on no problem. Take a look at the wire type constant tension clamps from MSC or McMaster Carr.