• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Bending moment in Wittman style strut braced wing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all, I should preface this by saying I'm about to start year 3 of my mechanical engineering degree so I'm still learning how to apply the principles I'm learning in school.

So, I'm interested in learning how to analyze the forces at the wing root when the wing has the Wittman style of wing-fuselage intersection, namely the "cuff" in the leading edge. The wing to fuselage mounting point on these designs places the forward spar wing root bolt below the neutral axis of the wing spar. It's my understanding that this will impose a bending moment on the spar.

My question is, how far out does this moment act? Does it only affect the spar from the wing-fuselage intersection out to the wing strut attach point? Hopefully this is a valid question..still learning here...
Thanks

Back