Bending Brake issues

Discussion in 'Workshop Tips and Secrets / Tools' started by 12notes, Nov 4, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 10, 2018 #41

Armilite

Armilite

Armilite

Seems like a Lot of work to build one, if this may work for you.

Attached Files:

2. Dec 10, 2018 #42

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

the one you show would not bend it either...trust me

3. Dec 10, 2018 #43

dcstrng

dcstrng

dcstrng

Mine is sort of the cobbled together “Dave” brake – used heavier door hinges rather than piano-hinge and also use heavy C-clamps (which means I cannot do middle of a sheet bends, except with really light stuff), then bolted the whole thing to the wall… It would do 0.032 6061 at 96” length in its original config -- I eventually welded on more leverage and then was able to do 0.040 2024 at the same length – took it in stages but it came out better than I’d hoped although, regrettably I no-longer have a project that needs it – just wanted to see if it might, and it does… good clamping and enough leverage and you can bend nearly anything reasonable at home, I think…

normal_0624181602.jpg normal_0624181606.jpg

4. Dec 10, 2018 #44

12notes

12notes

12notes

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

My brake has a number of advantages over the Harbor Freight one:
    1. My brake is twice as long, with a 72" bending area (78" if it's less the bend is 1" or less from the edge.) The HF one is 36", the test piece is 40" long, it can't even fit, let alone bend, the piece in question. It's a non-starter for thinner 6' wing skins.
    2. The HF brake would use up valuable floor space in my garage, which I'm having difficulty moving around in now. My brake can be unbolted from the table and thrown under my tool box.
    3. My brake is already built and was $90 cheaper. It was not a lot of work, it took 8 hours to build total, but my hobby is building things anyway, so I can't really count that time as a cost.

proppastie likes this.
  5. Dec 11, 2018 #45

narfi

narfi

narfi

I can stand on the feet of the brake I use at work, and since I cant lift myself up it doesn't need to be heavier than I can lift.