• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBuiltAirplanes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Airplane For Sale Bellanca Super Viking Airframe

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
The Great L. Cheapo strikes again!

Hot off the presses, five minutes ago.

Our EAA chapter is in the process of receiving a donation of a Bellanca 17-30A Super Viking airframe, minus engine, propeller, and instruments. I have not seen it yet but what I do know is that the wings were removed and stored indoors, the fabric is still on the fuselage but likely needs re-doing, and all the airframe parts are there. Not crashed and it is reported to be not wood-rotted.

The organization donating the airframe to us has already sold off the engine and avionics, they are not available.

My job is to convert this donated airframe into a usable engine for our chapter's Zenith 750 Cruzer project.

With the right finagling and tap-dancing, and after an extensive (looking) rebuild, you might be able to build this back up as an E-AB with an aluminum LS V 8 engine or something. That likely depends on your photographic skills... I'm just sayin' :)

We want to TRADE this airframe for a low-time to mid-time, un-damaged, running, airworthy Continental O-200.

Here is the airplane before the engine, prop and instruments were removed:

Viking.jpg

Last edited:

rv7charlie

Lifetime Supporter
Keep this, sell Zenith.
This is by far the best the best idea. But if they're determined to get rid of it, post some more detailed info & pics when available. Is the motor mount/nose gear stuff still there?

BTW, why encourage something that would be illegal, when it would be relatively simple (at the right FSDO) to put it in Exhibition category?

If I get you a good O200, will the chapter bring the airframe to Jackson MS & pick up the engine? ;-)

Charlie

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Our chapter has started an airplane building program where the kids and adults will learn how to build a simple pop-rivet airplane from the ground up, and then learn to fly in it.

The Viking is a fast, complex, cross-country airplane for experienced pilots... not ab initio students.

Also, last I checked, it was already built.

I can make a Giraffe relevant to an Octopus when I really want to, but the Viking is not a match for a student airplane build/fly program at a small EAA chapter.

WonderousMountain

Last edited:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
OK, our chapter's resident engine expert has spoken. We'll also trade the Bellanca airframe for a low time complete and running late model (115 HP) O-235 engine from a Cessna 152 or Trauma-Hawk.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Thanks to the incredible aviation community represented in this forum, we are hopefully moving forward with Powersport Aviation's offer to trade a low-time O-200 engine for the Viking airframe.

This is a Win-Win-Win deal: We get a safe and reliable engine to use on our E-AB chapter project, we get to make some new aviators and homebuilders... a lot of kids will get a pathway toward aviation careers and hobbies... Powersport Aviation gets a high-class luxury aircraft for a song... and a darn good airplane gets itself back in the air!

proppastie

Log Member
If the chapter is not carful they could be the start of a mostly worthless aircraft junk yard.......You sometimes get what you pay for.

addicted2climbing

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Woo Hoo.... Such a better outcome than the O-200 that I bought for this project and never received from a seller on HBA... You know who you are if your reading this....

proppastie

Log Member
The Bellanca is definitely not junk, it is a restorable intact airframe. The O-200 we are getting form Powersport Aviation is likely not junk either.
Were you able to trade the airframe for the engine?