Free Bellanca 14-13 project

Discussion in 'For Sale & Wanted' started by Hot Wings, Aug 20, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 20, 2019 #1

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

A friend forwarded this e-mail to me a few moments ago.
    ==================
    There is an aircraft fuselage located in the north end of the Aerocare hangar (see attached photos). If this belongs to you, or if you know who it belongs to, please let me know. That hangar is under lease and the fuselage needs to get relocated.

Glenn S. Januska, A.A.E.
    Airport Director
    Casper/Natrona County Int'l Airport
    8500 Airport Parkway
    Casper, WY 82604
    ==========================
    Fuselage 2-2.jpg

I bought this project MANY years ago and lost track of the fuselage as it got shuttled around from one hangar to another. I have no time to move it, space to store it and I'll never have the time to work on it so it needs a new home.

The fuselage needs to be moved ASAP.

The plane hit trees at the end of the runway on it's first flight after a restoration when the engine stopped. I have given the engine to my nephew for his Stinson. The fuselage wing stubs will need repair. The motor mount was bent and I haven't seen it in years.
    I think I still have the paperwork, but no bill of sale. There are 2 sets of wings, both repairable, the stubs of the original wings, a usable boot cowl,tail feathers, landing gear and some other parts stored in 2 other locations that will go with the fuselage. These can be picked up later, but will require a barn find style 'extraction'.

PM if interested.

2. Aug 31, 2019 #2

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

It looks like the Bellanca has found a new home with an IA that has the experience to know what he is getting himself into.

Unlike the local motor head that thought it would be a nice present for his 13 year old kid. He gets my brothers Tri-Q. Will be glad to see that albatross leave my shop.

3. Nov 9, 2019 #3

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Bump:

The appointed day for pick up came and went. No response from the former claimant so it's still available. It's all in one hangar now and there are log books ... and a bill of sale that my brother found.

The wings are mounted nose down by the root on wheeled stands. The big parts should fit on a standard car trailer and the rest in the back of a long bed PU.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  4. Nov 9, 2019 #4

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Send an e-mail to Pete Plumb, Wood Wing Specialty in Shafter, CA.
    He probably won't want it himself, but as the #1 wood structures guy he will know all of the people who are in a position to put that back in the air.

Actually, it might be an ideal start for an E-AB if someone wants to build a composite wing, kinda like a retro style Wheeler Express?

Chevy aluminum "crate motor" and some blue foam, or maybe a set of Comanche wings adapted to this fuselage?

5. Nov 9, 2019 #5

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

My next door neighbor is a Bellanca fanatic and has restored many of them. I'll hit him up to see if any interest.

So if I read between the lines it's a crashed project without engine, extra wings, currently located in Wy, and is free for the taking?

Got a phone number I can pass along?

6. Nov 9, 2019 #6

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

That was essentially my original plan. But my need for an A to B plane, and the time to make it a reality, has faded into history.

Thanks for the input!

7. Nov 9, 2019 #7

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

If Toobuilder's neighbor will go get it, then at least the airplane will live, or help some other airplane live. That's an honorable thing.

The great spirits of aviation history will smile down upon you from the clouds... and put an extra check mark on your file for that one day in an airplane when you could use all the check marks you can get :)

8. Nov 9, 2019 #8

pfarber

pfarber

pfarber

If this is/was a certified AC then without paperwork isn't it going to be tough to turn this into an E/AB?

The FAA pretty much prohibits any certified parts turning into E/ABs without a complete and proper paperwork trial.

9. Nov 9, 2019 #9

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

A factory rag and tube airplane can be duplicated by any homebuilder with a hacksaw and a torch, therefore, anyone presenting a new rag/tube E/AB for DAR inspection isn't going to get questioned much beyond a build log and signed affidavit. There are plenty of factory Piper PA-22's that have been reborn as E/AB's.

10. Nov 9, 2019 #10

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

This is simply a fallacy that gets propagated by those that haven't, or can't, read the regulations. Yes, there are some bureaucratic DARs out there that are deep into CYA and won't sign off anything that has any factory built part from a certified plane, but they are simply taking the easy and safe way out.

We have been round-n-round this subject here and elsewhere since the FAA clarified their stance on what is and is not amateur built and what a significant portion is, due to the proliferation of "pro-built" EABs. Bottom line: We CAN still use parts from certified factory built planes, and probably owner built parts that were legally put on certified planes.

While it is true that in this case it would take more than a new set of wings and and engine swap to build a legal EAB 14-13 it can be done and get a DAR that isn't sporting a large rectally inserted portion of a tree to sign it off.

This and other related problems would go away if the FAA would quit limiting the number of DARs because they "think" there are enough in a particular area to take care of the demand. If this were a private company engaging in this kind of market control they would be looking at hiring a bunch of lawyers to defend against anti-trust litigation. The FAA has a mandate to promote public safety. They don't have a mandate to act as a public service commission.

/RANT :mad:............off to get some Ibuprofen. o_O

11. Nov 10, 2019 #11

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

My brother posted some recent pictures - none of the spar ends, which are as good as any I looked at when I was searching for a 14-13.*
    Link to the photos:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bZX3hHLnptVSsxgBA

Wing mount stubs at the fuselage need repair.
    The fuselage tail section is swayed a bit. Should be possible to just push back - no kinks or dents.
    The control hoop is bent from the control cables trying to go with the wings. I have?/had the factory drawings to convert to floor sticks. I hate yolks.
    One set of tail feather wires.
    Some extra control surfaces included.
    An extra boot cowl - that was in nice shape before the racoon got locked in the shed. Still repairable.

Tailwind project in the background is NOT included.

*Saw one that had been flying - with annual - just a few months before I looked at it. There were 3 bolts on one rear spar flange that were hanging out in space with no wood for about 2 inches. The others weren't much better.

12. Nov 10, 2019 #12

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

My Bellanca fanatic neighbor has too much on his plate for this one, but I have another possibility. Will check with another guy.

13. Nov 10, 2019 #13

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Thanks for the help! Cutting it down to raw materials just seems wrong.

14. Nov 10, 2019 #14

pfarber

pfarber

pfarber

Well you obviously are triggered over this, but the FARs are the FARs.

Correctly, the old airfame, unless properly scrapped, would be under a Special Airworthiness certificate, most likely not E/AB, and with some major restrictions. Using an entire airframe is not the same thing as using a seat.

Granted, it is an exercise in paperwork over reality.

15. Nov 10, 2019 #15

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Yes, a tortured reality that nobody but the most pedantic of humans recognizes.

16. Nov 11, 2019 at 12:12 AM #16

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Sorry I hijacked my own thread! o_O

I'm just trying to give away most of an old Bellanca that has logs, a data tag and a paper trail. We can debate the reality of the data tag being the plane, per the paperwork, in another thread.

17. Nov 12, 2019 at 2:16 AM #17

Derswede

Derswede

Derswede

18. Nov 12, 2019 at 2:34 AM #18

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings