Quantcast

Beginning Search for Corvair.....help requested.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Streffpilot

Hey, I am looking for a used Corvair locally. I found one for $50, but it is a '63 and from a Manual Transmission. Is there a short list of requirements to do a Corvair? I thought I wanted '65 and newer and from an Automatic Transmission. Is this hear-say right?

Thanks.

spduffee

spduffee

Haha, yep. I was just trying to be an impartial informant, not wanting to push a sale down the throat of someone just looking for answers.
Mine is clear over in Seattle. Shipping can be expensive unless you use one of those bid-to-ship services.

Streffpilot

Thanks for the info. I may order the book from WW and read up before i pick up a motor that may or may not work.

I did see the sale that SPDUFFEE had, but he is a ways away from WI.....

Bill Clapp

As the owner of a pile of cores (40+) I can give you a little advise. Look up the local Corsa car members to see if there are any available through them. Many times we have found engines sitting under benches that they no longer want. Also, check your local junk yards...you may have to buy the whole car (@400.00 maybe less) and pull the engine or get them to pull the engines. I bought five engines from one yard for 500.00 total (100.00 each) and one ran! Put it into one of my cars and it still drives 8 years later. We as carr manuals and info....Call me if you need more ...Bill

Zumsel

Not wanting to highjack this thread. But I am wondering if it would be possible to buy all parts, form more or less one source, to built an Corvair aircraft engine like it is possible for VW engines. AeroVee or Great Plains f.e. I am building a CH 750 Cruzer. Just ordered my plans yesterday and will get my kit in roughly three month.

Last edited:

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Not wanting to highjack this thread. But I am wondering if it would be possible to buy all parts, form more or less one source, to built an Corvair aircraft engine like it is possible for VW engines.
Unfortunately, no. You'll need a core for the case, crank, and heads (although you could source them individually). That's about all you're keeping. Lots of the parts are sold by Clark's Corvair, with other aviation-specific parts coming from William Wynne. The case and heads are not in manufacture like VWs, but they are around. If you want to shell out more dough, you can get an excellent new billet crank from Dan Weseman / Spot Performance Aviation.

Bill Clapp

Actually it is possible. We have built up kits for people in the past. We also have all the firewall forward components (such as cowling and mounts) for the Zenith 750. Check out our website at azaleaaviation.com

We had one of our builders that built his own engine fly his 750 to Sun n Fun this year.

Contact us for any questions.

229-834-8996
mail@azaleaaviation.com

don january

HBA Supporter
Log Member
You can buy a 145 cubic inch engine and do some light grinding in the core block to fit the 8907 crank. the 164 are getting harder to find. personally I don't like the thought of removing material from the block, but it really isn't much Alum. that's got to go. You will find a 3.200.00 self build will turn into a 10.000 plus to get it done right like Clapp's or Wynne's engines. So spend the money up front and get one of there's. Or find a new breed of engine!!