BEECHCRAFT T-34 MENTOR

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Blackhawk

Hi All,

Has anyone ever thought of a scale replica of the Beechcraft T-34.

I was thinking of about 75%.

Any thoughts.

Graeme

orion

It's one of my favorite planes to fly and it was the first small plane I ever flew in (as an observer for the CAP back in high school). But it might be a bit tight at that scale - I'd probably go for something like eighty to eighty-five percent, but maybe keeping the length nearly the same, say maybe 90 - 95 percent.

Blackhawk

Hello Orion,

I thought 75% would be a good size with plenty of room in the cockpit.

Rough scale dimensions are;

Wing span 24.6ft
Wing area 135sq.ft
Length 19.35ft
Cockpit width 2.8ft
Cockpit height 4ft
Cockpit length 7ft

It would come into our Aus 544kg or LSA 600kg

Not having seen one up close I am only guessing, but I thought the cockpit would have a lot of room in the full size aircraft.

Only thinking out loud at the moment.

Graeme

orion

Interesting - I didn't think the cockpit had all that much room. That's over 33" wide and I recall sitting in there with both of my shoulders, although clear, pretty close to the structure.

But regarding the scale, I was thinking more along the lines of something with a bit more performance - I don't tend to think along the light category lines since I find most of those planes marginal for any serious use. And since that's most of my work, I rarely delve into the lower end of the weigh spectrum.

But in that case you're right - it would be an interesting scale replica. I'm sure it would bring a bit of a smile to those who trained in one.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure of the point of a replica... T-34's are relatively available, and IIRC are basically an aerobatic Bonanza (Beech did make a civilian aerobatic version of the Bonanza, too, not sure which came first) with a different fuselage. Or you could start with Bonanza wings and a homebuilt fuselage...

-Dana

The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Who makes it and what are the engine options.? Looks like a pretty cool machine.
The T-34 Mentor was a USAF and USN basic trainer made by Beechcraft and is, as I said above, adapted from their Bonanza. Several different piston engines in the 2-300HP range were used and there was also a turboprop version.

-Dana

Hangover: The Wrath of Grapes.

Blackhawk

The other plane I am considering for the 75% scale is the Pilatus PC-9 powered with a rotary engine.
This will probably be my prefered aircraft.

Attachments

Group Builder