Quantcast

Beech Staggerwing Fuselage Best Offer

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
I flew into Santa Paula airport KSZP yesterday, on a highly important mission to burn up some dead dinosaur meat.

Sitting there was what looked for all the world to be a Beech Staggerwing bare tube fuselage. It was either a "real" Staggerwing or an experimental scratch built Staggerwing. The only reason I can say something like that is because it was sitting right next to the hangar where the one-off scratch built Howard "Mullicoupe" (cross between a DGA-15 and a Mister Mulligan) was built, so there's just no shortage of capacity to take that big of a project on in this particular place :)

A sign said "For Sale, Best Offer" and a phone number. This airport is such that anyone you speak to will know whose airplane that is, and how to get in touch with them. Rowena, the airport manager, will know whoever it is.

There was no price listed.

I know you've been wondering just that to do with that spare 985 in your basement....

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
Would it be cheating to get wings from Pete Plumb, and come up with one's own fast build kit for a Staggerwing?

TFF

You would be fine buying a fast wing kit. Might as well have him put it together. It might be faster, but the overtime, you have to do to pay for it, is pretty much a switch of his time your time. You have to spend time making money or spend time making parts.
Is this thing just tubes or is it sitting on gear?

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Pete is just about the leading source for new or rebuilt Staggerwing wings (and wood Stearman wings) that there is. At least west of the Mississippi. So if anyone can make a quick built wing kit, he can. He has all the rib jig boards, spar patterns and drill jigs, etc.

Again, this may well be a genuine antique Beech fuselage, or it may be something cobbled together out of 5 busted Beech fuselages, or it may be something else. ALL it is is the bare welded steel tubes, with an electric motor and gear retraction (jackscrew) mechanism, and a set of retractable landing gears. There's a vertical fin, but no rudder, tailplane, etc. The lower steel center section, out to the landing gear, is there.

It has the elevator push-pull tube in it, and this tube has a "spine" or "upper keel" strip of steel stitch welded as a reinforcement on the top of the pushrod. This is presumably to prevent bowing or sagging. I am not very familiar with the Staggerwing, it's absolutely on the 'other side of the tracks' from me aviation-wise. So I do not know if this is a stock setup, or a modification for higher speed (bigger engine???).

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
My cousin owns the one and only remaining (of two) sheet-metal-fuselage Staggerwings in the world. On his list of "things to finish" in the years ahead. Beautiful airplane.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
I think Beech built them at the factory as a "modernization" attempt to deal with the Cessna 190???? Can anyone verify or de-bunk that? If Beech did it, then it's their own sacrilege. But they're in good company in the sacrilege department... Piper, Aeronca, and Taylorcraft all built nosewheel variants of the Cub, Champ, and BC-12.

stanislavz

HBA Supporter
Sorry to be annoying - do you have to kept it original ? I was wisiting on of our local wing-making guy, he was building set of wings for pre ww2 fw 44 biplane - it took him ~ 9 month to make them.. Ok, he is older one and working alone. But still. If wings are identical in pairs - why not build them in composite ? I think BoKu have posted some of his build Pitts wings - due to biplane bracing - no ribs or big/highly loaded spar.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
SACRILEGE!
I've been trying to find a picture of it. I have one somewhere. The lines are no different - it may even just be an aluminum skin over the original style structure. You have to get fairly close to the airplane before it dawns on you that something is "different."

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
I think Beech built them at the factory as a "modernization" attempt to deal with the Cessna 190???? Can anyone verify or de-bunk that? If Beech did it, then it's their own sacrilege. But they're in good company in the sacrilege department... Piper, Aeronca, and Taylorcraft all built nosewheel variants of the Cub, Champ, and BC-12.
I used to have a link to material on this somewhere, but now I can't find it. I do know it was built in the original factory and is not a third-party modification.

deftone

Probably would have to add a few pieces. Here ya go:

View attachment 103131
actually the Staggerwing Museum may have an interest.

Derswede
Im surprised they haven’t already heard of its existence. They are surprisingly proactive. They somehow found out I have a copy of the book on the development of the staggerwing that is signed by Walter Beech and emailed me offering to buy it for the museum.