Beech Corporate Jackets

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Derswede

Now here is something you don't see every day. Be a Master of Aircraft fashion with these two Beech logo'ed jackets. I bet you would not be able to find these at your local Goodwill (unless you live in Wichita, Kansas.....). These were my father's. He was Beech's top sales guy a couple of years and was given these along with awards, etc. Put this on when you get into your Bonanza or Baron and fly in style! "Make me an offer I cannot refuse ( and the bar is pretty low.....). Sorry, already have gone thru the pockets, no loose change or large bills left.....

Derswede jackets.jpg

TFF

I figure if you got a KingAir, there is a Bonanza in the corner for knocking around. I would want a 47 V tail in polished aluminum and red stripes. I bet now days the sales are stuck in polos. Dressed up is kind of cool because it’s so rare today.

plncraze

HBA Supporter
Derswede, your family lineage is incredible. I am old enough to remember Beech Aero Clubs. Did you meet Olive Ann?

Derswede

Met her, but I was a kid then. Amelia Earhart's friend lived near us, Louise Thaden, and she had come out for a visit. Didn't appreciate it at the time, meeting aviation greats. I did get yelled at once by Bevo Howard, does that count for anything??

Derswede

Derswede

TFF, a friend had a '47 Bonanza, it got totaled one night while landing in a small strip in VA. The airport owner didn't check the runway after turning on the runway lights as she came in with a charter customer. Just as she touched down. she said she "saw huge eyes!!" Several Black Angus cows were in the middle of the strip, and suddenly became chopped beef and hamburger. Barbara used to say that she did not eat steak for years after that. I saw what remained of that Bonanaza. "Don't hit cows!!" is all I have to say.

PinCrazy, the Aero Club at the old Greensboro, NC airport even sported a bar and a pool table. Most of the groups met there. I helped refinish that pool table, and it was offered to my Dad when the club closed and was knocked down to build a new terminal building for the airport. He turned it down, we only had space for airplane items, but I wanted it. No space, too many projects in the workshop at that point...a retractable gear Dart, a Luscombe that soloed w/o a pilot and a Krieder Reisner KR-31. The Monocoupes were at a hanger we had built at a strip north of Charlotte, NC. Lots of history, but did not appreciate it at that time. I did my solo in a Mouse, N5760V, the old trainer at AirService at the GSO airport. My dad bought it as it was cheap and he didn't want us flying any of the antique birds.

Derswede

Reactions: TFF

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Post 'em over on Pilots of America, the Bonanza drivers there will eat them up.

plncraze

HBA Supporter
Being yelled at by Bevo is cool! Its neat to hear about these to
folks as normal people. What was Louise like? She had to have been super motivated to have achieved what she did back in those days.

Derswede

Louise was married to a guy that invented lots of fibreglass handling equipment. She gave us lots of fibreglass tubing....we ended up using it for water drainage....spent lots of time digging ditches for that stuff. Both she and her late husband were very intelligent. I was just a kid, but enjoyed talking with her. Don't think she was afraid of anything. At that time,. we had lots of antique restorers in the area. Susan Dusenbury lives just north of me. Dub Yarbrough used to wander thru in "BigRed", his Staggerwing. Swanson Poer had his Staggerwing based out of GSO for many years. Lots of aviation in this area. There were some true woodworking artists here. Herb Puckett would fly his PT-19 down to the airport., John Gibson in N36Y (now in the Smithsonian) and other greats would wander thru. If I knew then what I know now, I would have recorded everything about those times. My brother has a ton of photos which I hope he will scan in and put online someday.

The Bevo Howard thing was at the old Wings and Wheels museum when it was at Santee Cooper, SC. We had the Monocoupe D-145 there. I had been working on a place on the wingtip to get a spot smooth where the tape was over the wingtip bow. I was rubbing that area, happy that it was nice and smooth, when Bevo walked by and snapped "Stop touching that wing...it is fabric and you could damage it!!". Having respect for my elders, I did as I was told. Later that day, he came by to look at the Aerosport we had restored for the museum (Ford V-8 flathead engine), he recognised me and asked what I was doing there. I explained and he backed off a bit. I was in awe of lots of those guys. Loved the Fly-ins and getting to see the antiques and homebuilts that were present. If you get a chance to do one of the major fly-ins, DO IT! You will not regret it. I learned a lot just listening to those guys. An education you cannot get at any college.

Derswede