"Beast One" - the next generation Microjet

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

jandetlefsen

HBA Supporter
Watched this random youtube video the other day and something reminded me of your project. Maybe you find this interesting

Scheny

Watched this random youtube video the other day and something reminded me of your project. Maybe you find this interesting
Thanks! Actually I have checked all available RC aircraft and used them to research how to create a nicely behaving aircraft. As RC are steered from outside, they are not allowed to be unforgiving. But in the end, they benefit from being way lighter than a comparable man-carrying one.

Does anyone know anything about the Microjet200? Uses 2 Microturbo TRS 18-1 engines
A very nice jet, but having two turbojets is a no-go in terms of having doubled servicing costs and two small inefficient engines instead of one efficient one. As there are ballistic rescue systems available today, there is no reason in going for a multi engine anymore. A multi engine needs to sustain at least altitude with one engine out and so it will fly in cruise with only half the power and at least one third more consumption (less efficiency).

nicknack

Thanks! Actually I have checked all available RC aircraft and used them to research how to create a nicely behaving aircraft. As RC are steered from outside, they are not allowed to be unforgiving. But in the end, they benefit from being way lighter than a comparable man-carrying one.

A very nice jet, but having two turbojets is a no-go in terms of having doubled servicing costs and two small inefficient engines instead of one efficient one. As there are ballistic rescue systems available today, there is no reason in going for a multi engine anymore. A multi engine needs to sustain at least altitude with one engine out and so it will fly in cruise with only half the power and at least one third more consumption (less efficiency).
Actually I brought up the micro jet 200 because it used something that has a thrust of 250lbf, if ever a turbofan of around 600 to 900lbf becomes available to public at around $100k ish, this design could become of interest.

opcod

Most of those come with a nice 50hrs or max 100hr repair, sorry : mean full disasembly and ship to the manufacturer. If it's not about money and efficiency, ok.

Scheny

@opcod you are right, but I think nicknack exactly meant to substitute them if such powerplant came available.

I was in conversation with DGEN, who worked on such a turbine. If I remember correctly, their initial estimate was around 80k$, but their sales told me that the price would be more in the range of 250k$, unless production numbers would be skyhigh.

So I don't expect an affordable and efficient turbofan to hit the market anytime soon. Even bigger companys like Williams had massive problems with overheating (FJ-22 cancelled).

Scheny

I today created the first video showing the journey from the first design concept to the current iteration of the CAD model:
It is not a marvel of modern film production, but wanted to start small before covering an important topic.

Please feel free to ask for the next topic that i should cover and watch the video until the end (for some eye candy starting at 10:06).

llemon

Just where is the intake going to be located? This seems like one of the biggest problems for a small jet like this.

Scheny

Just where is the intake going to be located? This seems like one of the biggest problems for a small jet like this.
Same area as I showed with the iteration #2 model (the black one), but changed to scoops with a boundary layer diverter. CFD showed this is the best place.

Looks super-neat, but will it be cheaper/faster/ and more-fun to fly(for hours) than a twin-Jet Cri Cri or the Sonex Jet or a jet-Sailplane/soarer?
Faster than a Cri-Cri or glider? Definitely!!! (the Cri-Cri has Vne of 115kt and most gliders are not much faster)
Faster than a Sonex? Only veeery slightly, but much more efficient at that speed.

More fun to fly? Yes, as it's the only to allow inverted flight. Yes, as it much more ergonomic. Yes as it is easier to fly in some regards (less runway, better approach handling, etc.).
Cheaper? It consumes less tan the Sonex, but fuel is something which is a minor part in the total cost of ownership (turbine being the biggest).

Scheny

A new video is online with a little bit of insight for the CFD testing which has been done during summer.

Please subscribe, as it is lots of work to create this videos and it will give a little motivation for making new ones.