Bearings for a belt redrive.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

clanon

My link was wrong. And by the way could'n find the interactive selection tool anywhere. It was great.

Last edited:

ekimneirbo

Banned
I am looking at that as an option. i just don't like the weight. Plus, without a re-drive, the max they are getting is about 100 hp.

Plus, I'v got a 115 hp Merc sitting on the back of a junk boat.......so it put me to thinkin'......never good
Since the Merc has some value, it could be
sold and the money used to purchase a different starting point. Its kinda one of those situations where you can start cheaper with the on hand motor, but by
the time you work your way thru developing a reduction drive......will you have more weight,more expense,better reliability,or not. Remember the redrive
will take away some of the engines 15 extra horses with frictional loses. Will the combined total weight be less/more than another choice? Will the engine
have long term reliability and what will replacement parts cost if available years from now? Lots of considerations to think about. Besides, you haven't
considered the main reason NOT to use a boat engine.....IT's not designed for airplane use! Thats just a tongue in cheek jab at all the anti-autoengine people
out there. It does seem that it might be more at home in a seaplane or flying boat setup............Just Kiddin:) It can obviously be made to work, but I would
think long and hard as to whether its your best option and is it really what you want. If thats what YOU want , then I'd go for it.

Streffpilot

I think I am most interested for it as a project. Plus, the same physical size engine can be had....up to 150 hp. So I am looking at the one I've got and thinking ahead.....There is a 135 HP model that may be just about perfect. Again, same exact size, just different Carbs and ports and reeds.

Plus, I think the main reason I am attracted to it is because it is NOT an aircraft engine, and people say it Can't or shouldn't be done.

ekimneirbo

Banned
I think I am most interested for it as a project. Plus, the same physical size engine can be had....up to 150 hp. So I am looking at the one I've got and thinking ahead.....There is a 135 HP model that may be just about perfect. Again, same exact size, just different Carbs and ports and reeds.

Plus, I think the main reason I am attracted to it is because it is NOT an aircraft engine, and people say it Can't or shouldn't be done.
I hope this works out well for you. Post some pictures as you progress............

clanon

Liquid cooling could take some thinking...and doing.:ponder:
This was a Polish experiment :
n_a (3).jpg n_a (1).jpg n_a (2).jpg n_a.jpg

clanon

Nope.
FYI those are "Polish Rubber Props":roll:

PS:I think i see enough clearance on the other pic.