• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Bearing Clearances

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc W

I have been trying to diagnose the cause of the oil leaking past the front hub seal on my 2180 VW. It has the Force 1 prop hub. I pulled the hub again to check it. I turned a tapered mandrel on the lathe to fit the hub taper. I was then able to measure the runout on the bearing surfaces and seal surfaces. The bearing surfaces are probably fine. I measured TIR(total indicated runout) of less than .001". However the hub wasn't finished completely in the seal area. There is a .005 " step on one side of the hub right where the front seal rides. That may well be why the front seal is not sealing. I can probably machine the step down and install a Speedi-Sleeve there for the sealing surface.

I also tried to measure the runout on the end of the crankshaft. There seems to be a lot of slop in the #4 bearing. I can easily push the nose of the crank back and forth .004" and with moderate pressure move it .005". This engine only has about 90 hours on it so I would expect the main bearings to be tighter than that. I don't know VW's so maybe this is fine. What do you experienced VW builders think?

Back