Beachner V8 Special

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

airrichy

I Just joined the forum and found this site while looking for info on an old experimental called the Beachner V8 Special. I would like any current info on this plane or where there might be an airframe for sale or a set of plans. Look forward to hearing from someone.
Thanks - Airrichy

Detego

I Just joined the forum and found this site while looking for info on an old experimental called the Beachner V8 Special. I would like any current info on this plane or where there might be an airframe for sale or a set of plans. Look forward to hearing from someone.
Thanks - Airrichy
Welcome to the site.

[h=1]Thread: Beachner V8 Special[/h]http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/general-auto-conversion-discussion/1321-beachner-v8-special.html

Beachner V8 Special.pdf
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B35cVTlE-h7IYWY0YzQ5ZGUtMzcwYy00NTdlLTkzNjAtZjI4MTJiNWZiYjUy/edit?hl=en&authkey=CI_BjNEM&pli=1

FAA Registry Info
Serial Number:
Registrant:
Individual
Name:
Mizell William K
Street:
56 Valley Airport Pl
City:
Cotter
State:
AR
Postal:
72626-9187
US
Last Activity:
8/21/2007
Certificate Issue:
5/11/1990
Aircraft Type:
Fixed wing single engine
Engine Type:
Reciprocating
Status Code:
Mailed

delta

I heard that he had installed a roots type supercharger and something went wrong with the exceptionally long tube connecting it to the intake manifold.

airrichy

Thanks for clues on the Beachner V8 special everyone. I now know where Bill Mizell is, the last owner after Chris Beachner was killed. NTSB reports
it was water in the fuel (mogas from a local station) Plane was running rough but Beachner took off anyway and engine quit after lift off over hostile (rocky) terriory and the plane burned on impact. Sad to lose a bright young man like that but we all know that flying is not very forgiving of impulsive decisions. Will be contacting Bill Mizell and going to visit him in Arkansas. If anyone knows where a set of plans are for the plane I am interested. I already have an engine (been storing it for years) As soon as I get my engine back in my Tailwind it will be for sale and I am going to start another project. Thanks again for the help gang!

billyvray

Keep us posted. In the original thread it was said that Mr. Mizell wanted a pretty penny for the leftovers, and no one seems to have plans they'd sell or copy. I'd love some myself.

Bill

Dean77

Hi Airrichy,
I have a Beachner V-8 special project I am working on and I know there may still be a kit for sale. Let me know if you are still interested.

Thanks

Dean

flyvulcan

Log Member
Dean,

Could you post a small build log or photos of your project in the Member Projects section? I for one would like to see what you have. I really liked the look of the aircraft when it came out on the cover of Homebuilt Aircraft magazine.

Cheers,

Dave

Dean77

Hi Dave, I will take some photo's and put them on the forum. It is a good looking airplane. I have the 2 side by side version though not the tandem. I have a P76 engine with a PSRU that I am using as well. Are you looking to build one? Regards Dean

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
Hi Dave, I will take some photo's and put them on the forum. It is a good looking airplane. I have the 2 side by side version though not the tandem. I have a P76 engine with a PSRU that I am using as well. Are you looking to build one? Regards Dean
I know this is an old post but has anyone seen a Beachner V8 Special recently?

Giffymon

I have seen a lot on this subject over the years. Most of it is pure BS.
I gave Chris a biannual flight review just a couple of weeks prior to his very untimely and tragic demise. It happened at Evergreen Field, Vancouver, Wa. His airplane was a one of a kind, or so he told me in many of our conversations. Hand built from no plans.
He had fueled up at evergreen. We had the cheapest 80 octane gas in the entire USA. He took off on runway 28, had an engine failure and attempted to do a 180 turn back to the runway. He stalled and crashed into a field off the end of the runway and was killed either by the crash or the fire that ensued.
He was a great guy and had built a cool airplane. End of story.

Winginitt

I have seen a lot on this subject over the years. Most of it is pure BS.
I gave Chris a biannual flight review just a couple of weeks prior to his very untimely and tragic demise. It happened at Evergreen Field, Vancouver, Wa. His airplane was a one of a kind, or so he told me in many of our conversations. Hand built from no plans.
He had fueled up at evergreen. We had the cheapest 80 octane gas in the entire USA. He took off on runway 28, had an engine failure and attempted to do a 180 turn back to the runway. He stalled and crashed into a field off the end of the runway and was killed either by the crash or the fire that ensued.
He was a great guy and had built a cool airplane. End of story.
My understanding was that water in the gasoline caused the engine to stop rather than an actual engine malfunction. Are you saying that is not correct ?

mm4440

My understanding was that water in the gasoline caused the engine to stop rather than an actual engine malfunction. Are you saying that is not correct ?
Another theory is induction icing between the slide "carb" and supercharger inlet. No provision for carb heat.

mm4440

The induction system was an accident waiting to happen. A primitive slide carb that needed the mixture adjusted with every throttle change mounted on an inlet pipe to the supercharger down near the oil pan with no provision for carb heat. I talked to him about it the last time they were at Oshkosh.

Tony Spezio

Thanks - Airrichy
Thanks - Airrichy
Never heard of the Beachner V8 Special till meeting with some local pilots Saturday evening. One older gentleman mentioned that he had owned one and proceeded to tell me about the Buick V8 engine it had. Interesting.

Winginitt

If you are considering the aluminum Buick V8, there is a fair amount of info on them. Probably best though to look for a Rover version of the engine which is an improved version that has some extra cubic inches for the same weight. You can adapt a better carb than Beachner used or use factory fuel injection with an aftermarket controller.

Billrsv4

The Buick Aluminum V8 was a fine engine. IIRC GM stopped making them because they were, 1. small diplacement at a time eveyone in the USA was horsepower crazed, and 2. expensive to make as they were an orphan line. The Rover version added mostly evolution improvements. More modern electronics, and induction FI. The engine was classically hotrodded. They were a mainstay to some of the 70's era sports raceing cars. I believe one of the early race winning McLarens used a radically modified one.
T.O. Bill