Quantcast

For Sale BD-5B Airplane Clean

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

n6233u

HBA Supporter
Nice looking plane, I have always wanted one but didn't know if I would fit in it.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Who will be signing the Bill of sale for this aircraft ?
There needs to be a paper trail back to the last registered owner, as a minimum a bill of sale signed by the executor of the last registered owner's estate showing that the current seller owns it legally, then another bill of sale signed by the seller.

I think I'm glad it's so far away, I'd be sorely tempted to go look at otherwise. You see uncompleted or incomplete kits all the time but flyable BD-5 is a rare thing.

To the OP, I suggest you place an ad on Barnstormers.com.
You'll get a lot of tire kickers, but it'll be seen by a much wider audience than here.

ahawk

There needs to be a paper trail back to the last registered owner, as a minimum a bill of sale signed by the executor of the last registered owner's estate showing that the current seller owns it legally, then another bill of sale signed by the seller.

I think I'm glad it's so far away, I'd be sorely tempted to go look at otherwise. You see uncompleted or incomplete kits all the time but flyable BD-5 is a rare thing.

You'll get a lot of tire kickers, but it'll be seen by a much wider audience than here.
The executor of the original owner (he died a few months ago) can give me a bill of sale. We bought it from the executor, he is a friend. Thanks for the Barnstormers info. I think I will list it there.

ahawk

Do you think it is still flyable 30 years later? Honestly I know nothing about this airplane, except there seems to be none for sale. We were thinking someone might need to spruce it up to get it to modern day technology or keep is as a museum piece. We did get the propeller to spin !!

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
We might want to keep in mind this is a "For Sale" thread.
Indeed. All in all, this is a rather amazing find. Workmanship appears to be very good (although is there some distortion at the leading edge root of the vertical tail, on the fairing?) and the airplane and documentation seems very complete. No, the BD-5 is not an airplane for a low-time pilot, but this one looks to be a rare gem. There aren't many out there. I hope it goes to a good home. If you give it to a museum, make them promise not to turn it into a "kids sit in it" exhibit. Those get trashed in very short order.

Do you think it is still flyable 30 years later? Honestly I know nothing about this airplane, except there seems to be none for sale. We were thinking someone might need to spruce it up to get it to modern day technology or keep is as a museum piece. We did get the propeller to spin !!
The engine will probably need some love. That's a long time to sit for an ICE. The fact that it's not seized is a very good sign, however. I'm no expert on the BD-5, but this one looks to be well-maintained for having sat for so long. I'm going to guess it's been indoors most of that time? Probably only needs the "usual" treatment for that kind of situation - change hydraulic fluid in the brakes and check their function, function tests for all the controls, instruments, and electronics. A general airworthiness condition inspection by a qualified A&P, preferably someone familiar with the type (if there are any left), or at least someone familiar with homebuilts. Given that it's a BD-5, with their engine and drive-line woes, that probably needs some special interest.

There are very likely still some BD-5 builder's group(s) out there, with people much more familiar with the type and what to look at/for.

Anyone wanting to fly this machine should definitely talk to others who have. The BD-5 can be flown safely (we had a member here with one - Tinbuzzard - who flew his quite regularly), but again, it's not a craft for the low-time pilot.

Last edited:

Turd Ferguson

Do you think it is still flyable 30 years later?

Absolutely! Most airplanes flying are over 30 yrs old. There is a cult like following for BD-5 airplanes. Get the word out on a large scale like Barnstormers or even Ebay and you'll have a lot of interest in the plane (You'll have a lot of tire kickers as well). At the end of the day someone will pay a fair price for the plane.

ahawk

Indeed. All in all, this is a rather amazing find. Workmanship appears to be very good (although is there some distortion at the leading edge root of the vertical tail, on the fairing?) and the airplane and documentation seems very complete. No, the BD-5 is not an airplane for a low-time pilot, but this one looks to be a rare gem. There aren't many out there. I hope it goes to a good home. If you give it to a museum, make them promise not to turn it into a "kids sit in it" exhibit. Those get trashed in very short order.

The engine will probably need some love. That's a long time to sit for an ICE. The fact that it's not seized is a very good sign, however. I'm no expert on the BD-5, but this one looks to be well-maintained for having sat for so long. I'm going to guess it's been indoors most of that time? Probably only needs the "usual" treatment for that kind of situation - change hydraulic fluid in the brakes and check their function, function tests for all the controls, instruments, and electronics. A general airworthiness condition inspection by a qualified A&P, preferably someone familiar with the type (if there are any left), or at least someone familiar with homebuilts. Given that it's a BD-5, with their engine and drive-line woes, that probably needs some special interest.

There are very likely still some BD-5 builder's group(s) out there, with people much more familiar with the type and what to look at/for.

Anyone wanting to fly this machine should definitely talk to others who have. The BD-5 can be flown safely (we had a member here with one - Tinbuzzard - who flew his quite regularly), but again, it's not a craft for the low-time pilot.
Thanks for the information. Mr. Bost was very particular about this plane. He had it stored in a hanger at RDU airport !

ahawk

Absolutely! Most airplanes flying are over 30 yrs old. There is a cult like following for BD-5 airplanes. Get the word out on a large scale like Barnstormers or even Ebay and you'll have a lot of interest in the plane (You'll have a lot of tire kickers as well). At the end of the day someone will pay a fair price for the plane.
Thanks. I do need to get it posted on more sites. I'm hoping it goes to someone that will keep it all put together and will love it like Mr. Bost did.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
I might also suggest that you impose a very strict rule, that the buyer of the aircraft must prove and show that he or she has a
'high performance aircraft" pilot's license endorsement,and some minimum amount of flight experience in higher speed aircraft. This is not because you think you can guarantee the safety of that pilot (you can't), but to show that you did not just sell it to an un-qualified pilot without thinking twice.

Regardless of the outcome of any lawsuit or legal argument... but because it would be nice if you didn't ever have to get that phone call from someone's wife or kids in the first place. Again you cannot control what the buyer does, but you can weed out the buyers that obviously shouldn't have that type of airplane.

If you have a 427 Cobra for sale, common sense tells you that you really shouldn't sell it to a 17 year old kid who is trying to impress the cheerleaders, even if he has the money to buy the car. You don't want to get that call from the parents.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I don't know Bill. In the US, any newly minted teen driver with a motorcycle endorsement can purchase the latest 200 MPH superbike without a second thought. Happens every day.

I think the standard release of liability/sales agreement the EAA puts out is good enough. It's served the community for decades.

ahawk

I don't know Bill. In the US, any newly minted teen driver with a motorcycle endorsement can purchase the latest 200 MPH superbike without a second thought. Happens every day.

I think the standard release of liability/sales agreement the EAA puts out is good enough. It's served the community for decades.
Oh my. I had not thought of any type of liability/ sales agreement. Is the EAA agreement a document that I can download?

bmcj

HBA Supporter

I agree. It’s fine to recommend some hi-perf training, but we don’t need to create a Nanny-State in aviation.

daveklingler

This is not a high-performance aircraft, and requires no such endorsement. From Bud Davisson (http://www.airbum.com/pireps/PirepBD-5.html)

"Well, I think we've discovered what kind of pilot it takes to fly the BD-5. Any proficient 150-hour pilot could learn to handle it, but only if he had already developed certain skills and mental attitudes. He'd better be an accurate pilot. He can't make vague, unmetered control movements or be only fuzzily aware of what he sees over the nose. The airplane is capable of absolute precision, and to make consistently smooth landings and takeoffs, the pilot must use that precision. Most pilots are sloppy; they'll have to de-slop themselves before the fly the Five. The guy who takes great pride in making nothing but squeakers right on the centerline won't have any trouble at all. This type of mental attitude is totally independent of flight time, and can be present or absent regardless of how fat or skinny the logbook may be."