• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Battery box construction?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveR

I'm going to build a battery box for my plane. I only need to power my radio and GPS, so I don't need a big battery. I found a sealed 12v 8AH battery that should work great. I want to put it in a battery box even though it is sealed, just in case. I originally intended to build an aluminum box, but I'm not sure how to seal the seams. I don't have the ability to weld aluminum.

Would fiberglass resist battery acid? It shouldn't be too hard to build, and would be lighter than aluminum.

Also, is it common to put baking soda or some other base in the bottom of a battery box, to help neutralize the acid in the event of a leak?

Last edited:
Back