Batteries

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

tspear

Hasn’t Basic Med fixed that for the vast majority of the marketplace?

BJC

Nope. Per the regulations, every plane must have fuel tanks, oil pressure gauges... Many other items that are specific to fossil fuel powered power plants.
You can get waivers in the experimental A/B segment. But that is about it.

Tim

BJC

HBA Supporter
Nope. Per the regulations, every plane must have fuel tanks, oil pressure gauges... Many other items that are specific to fossil fuel powered power plants.
You can get waivers in the experimental A/B segment. But that is about it.

Tim
Isn't this about EAB aircraft?

Battery / electric isn't a problem there. It has been done a couple of times, but no commercial successes.

BJC

tspear

Isn't this about EAB aircraft?

Battery / electric isn't a problem there. It has been done a couple of times, but no commercial successes.

BJC
Well, I discussed an electric plane (Pipestrel variant) with the local FSDO. The answers were not encouraging. The answer was, operating limitations will be in a 25 mile area and cannot be based at an area with dense population. So basically, they wanted me to drive an hour or two, and be able to fly over empty land within safe gliding distance of the "home" airport only. And this was for an experimental.

I also talked to multiple DARs, none willing to sign off. There just is not any guidance from the FAA on electric aircraft. So you have to get really lucky on the selected FSDO; which so far every FSDO I have talked to, has the attitude you never get fired for saying no. You can get in trouble for saying yes.

Tim

TFF

EAB aircraft start with that same limitation and is usually waved once the phase flying is done. In any class if experimental category , there are limitations on what you can do. The phase flying is your proof for the FAA to extend your parameters. Flying off time in something like a turbine legend can be frustrating because it's so fast. It hits the corners of the test area so fast that they feel they are flying in a fish bowl. For 40 hours.

tspear

EAB aircraft start with that same limitation and is usually waved once the phase flying is done. In any class if experimental category , there are limitations on what you can do. The phase flying is your proof for the FAA to extend your parameters. Flying off time in something like a turbine legend can be frustrating because it's so fast. It hits the corners of the test area so fast that they feel they are flying in a fish bowl. For 40 hours.
I am aware of the test phase time limits. Normally 25 if you use an engine/prop combination from a certified plane, 40 otherwise.
The FSDO was talking permanent 25 mile limit. Not just a fly off limit. This really is a new "area" and like I said before; much easier for the FSDO to say no, than yes. Where the FSDO would be willing to have some leniency was actually on a front electric sustainer for a glider. But I am a powered plane kind of guy, I fly to get somewhere, not chase thermals.

This issue more than anything else has pretty much killed my head butting ideas on going for a hybrid or all electric. I am just not that stubborn or willing to tilt at windmills with the current environment.

Tim

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nope. Per the regulations, every plane must have fuel tanks, oil pressure gauges...
Most of those rules don't apply to experimentals. For example, there are a lot of 2-stroke powered experimentals flying around with no oil pressure gauges.

Dana

tspear

Most of those rules don't apply to experimentals. For example, there are a lot of 2-stroke powered experimentals flying around with no oil pressure gauges.

Dana
Dana,

I hear you. However, I have spent enough time tilting that particular windmill that until I am just going to wait until one of the following happens:
1. I move to another FSBO district (not likely anytime soon)
2. The FAA comes out with some new guidance or regulations
3. Some super duper new battery comes along that makes the battle worth it

Tim

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
You do not need oil pressure gauges, etc. for an electric powered plane, certified or experimental.

From 91.205 (Required instruments for civil aircraft, relevant sections only):

b) VFR Day

(4) Tachometer for each engine. - No difficulty having one for an electric motor.

(5) Oil pressure gauge for each engine using pressure system. - Electric motor doesn't have a pressure system, neither do 2 strokes. No problem here.

(6) Temperature gauge for each liquid-cooled engine. - Not liquid cooled, no problem.

(7) Oil temperature gauge for each air-cooled engine. - Not air cooled, no problem.

(8) Manifold pressure gauge for each altitude engine. - Not an altitude engine, no problem.

(9) Fuel gauge indicating the quantity of fuel in each tank. - I'd have a remaining charge gauge for safety. There are no fuel tanks, so you do have a gauge for each tank (zero), but if you want to prevent a pedantic inspector from arguing, have a fuel gauge glued to empty to literally qualify.

c) Night VFR

(5) An adequate source of electrical energy for all installed electrical and radio equipment - there's your batteries.

d) IFR

(7) Generator or alternator of adequate capacity. - You'd need a generator no matter how many batteries you had. Or a battery powered alternator, which is an effective way to waste energy.

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
Also, if it's a two seater under 1874 lbs. gross weight, and you have enough wingspan so that weight/(wingspan)^2 <= 0.62 lbs/ft^2 (The Pipstrel Alpha Electro passes), register it as a motor glider.

homebuilderfan

homebuilderfan

tspear

I like the gravercity solution, much simpler than others I have seen using the same concepts. Especially the use of mine shafts, we have those all over the east coast.
As for the others, way to early in the game to know which will make it to the finish line.

henryk