Basic Torque Question

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

MadRocketScientist

Canterbury, New Zealand, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy.
The design of the hub is poor, they need Locktite to keep the hub from slipping on the crank.....They did not have a locking taper which is a much smaller angle than the angle of this hub. The key is only for location of the magnet which fires the plugs, it provides very little in the way of strength against slippage........
What engine do you have again? From memory it was a 3W but I can't seem to remember.

proppastie

Log Member
What engine do you have again? From memory it was a 3W but I can't seem to remember.
early 3w-200, impulse buy, as a first step in beginning the designing of the Aluminum Dragon.....on paper it looked good, duel ignition, 10 lb 20 hp, use cheap model props of small diameter for a pusher behind the pod, possible low drag with the additions of sliding or hinged panels to cover the engine/prop after shut down. It may actually work out......Will see.....I have learned a lot since but I also have run the engine and.....well it runs pretty well. There is a video in my build log of it running. There are many options/alternatives and with the anticipated challenges of this quest I should have a busy retirement for several years to come.

Last edited:

proppastie

Log Member
Do you have the steel prop hub on yours?

I dug up a couple of threads on Flying Giants that seem relevant.
thanks because of your article I checked and see I also need a new clamp plate for the prop, and a new prop drill fixture for the new hub. I will talk to Gehart Monday about it.