• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Basic Question About Fuselage Shape

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Kay

Hi;

In looking at several types of homebuilt aircraft, it occurs to me that there are some that have parallel sides in the cockpit area, and some that are never parallel at any point of the fuselage from nose to tail. This, I mean, from a top view.

Some aircraft seem to have a parallel section roughly from engine to rear of cockpit, then a straight taper back to the tail.

I am working on the shape for a 2-seat Murphy Renegade, cosmetically modified to look more like a "Little Toot" by Tommy Meyer. So at this point I have the option to make the outer skin of the fuse any shape that makes visual and aerodynamic sense.

So, from a design or airflow point of view, which is best? 1, 2 or 3?
I would want to do some aerobatics eventually, but no knife-edge passes. Just rolls, loops, etc. The actual airframe has a long parallel section where the 2 seats are located, but that doesn't mean that the skin has to adhere to that shape.

Thanks, Tom.

Attachments

• Basic Fuselage Shapes.jpg
    Basic Fuselage Shapes.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 3,040
Back