• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Barracuda project and finish

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarzanbites

Hello,
I hope there is an expert among us who may offer some insight.
My project is is a Barracuda which I acquired a couple of years ago. It is now a complete airplane after repairs and various work over the last couple of years. It is mostly painted with a hard paint of some type. However, what I haven’t found under the paint is any Dacron or lightweight fiberglass. I do understand there are no strength issues to be concerned about with that, however I am concerned about the weather and water proofing that my airplane may not have. I’m not necessarily wanting to refinish the entire airframe. The existing finish looks fairly nice and I would presume would keep moisture at bay such as paint on a house does. What am I missing regarding the need or needlessness if Dacron/fiberglass prior to paint? Do you see sanding the entire aircraft finish to bare plywood skin and applying Dacron/fiberglass as necessary?
Thanks to the group for any help and advice.
Respectfully,
Nathan Peck
Leavenworth, KS

Back