Quantcast

Barnfinds

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Pilot-34

This is an attractive little airplane but Isn’t it @$15,000 is a little high priced?

Pilot-34

It’s a J5 With a 75 horse motor that needs to be rebuilt completely from one end to the other and then you’re still gonna have a J5
Not either a J3 or a pa-11

Jerry Lytle

I would give an eyetooth for a J5. Big gentle cousin to the J3. I see a few J4s around but this is the first J5 that has caught my eye.

TFF

The thing is, putting the money into it would bring it up to market. A Taylorcraft or Champ, you are upside down.

Pilot-34

I would give an eyetooth for a J5. Big gentle cousin to the J3. I see a few J4s around but this is the first J5 that has caught my eye.
You might look at this one it’s a 4 but it seems to be in a lot better shape ,sine he expect a new annual in the next 10 days.

TFF

J4 being side by side is the oddball. A friend in high school had one. The L3 would be nice to have.

Michael Silvius

The do look nice and command a hefty sum when done up right.
Saw this one just refurbished in Hampton, NH a couple years ago.

P1110165.JPGP1110169.JPGP1110170.JPG

BJC

HBA Supporter
Yup, the only long wing Piper that I have seriously considered owning (but never have), especially one with an O-320.

BJC

Mcmark

Dad told the story of helping a friend who was contracted to tow banners with his J5 on a day when Dick couldn't and the gent who set it up changed the banner to a LOT more letters. Dad being a newb and green said sure. Said he dragged it in the grass and trees for quite a ways before he could get any altitude. Knees holding the stick, 1 hand on the go lever and the other on the release. Laughs now, but I bet he was shakin and shiverin like a dog crappin razor blades when it was happenin!!

Reactions: BJC

Michael Silvius

Was there ever a factory J-5 with an enclosed engine?

BJC
I don't know Piper history well enough to say. But yea the PA 12 was the updated J-5 with the enclosed cowl. You dont tend to see a lot of either in the lower 48 as there has been a high demand for them up in Alaska so a lot have wound up there.

Jerry Lytle

J4 is side by side, very roomy cockpit.
The Piper J-4 Cub Coupe is a two place side-by-side version of the Piper J-3 that was built between 1938 and 1942 by Piper Aircraft. It was Piper's first model with side-by-side seating; combined with docile low-speed handling, this made it a good trainer.