Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Update in my e-mail this evening:

+++++++++
Barnaby Wainfan's Facetmobile and Aero News

This issue is goes out to 196 members of the Facet Faithful, currently subscribed.

For the past few years I have been working to develop a 2-seat light-sport airplane. I am calling it the FMX-7. The design builds on the legacy of the Facetmobile.

All of my analysis and test data are telling me this airplane needs to exist. I want one in my hangar.

I'm currently doing FEA structural analysis and detail design. We're close to to freezing the configuration and then it will be time to build.

Construction will start early next year (2021), and I am starting my search for an engine for the airplane. (100-120 hp, "real airplane engine")

Let me share a look at the testing I've done so far, beginning with these pictures of the 4-foot-span RC model flying the initial test of the FMX-7 design.

I was very pleased with how well the model flew. Watch the first flight here:

I got to do 2 wind-tunnel tests in the Cal Poly Pomona wind tunnel. In the first test, we evaluated the characteristics of the baseline configuration (the same as the RC model).

In the second test entry we investigated variations of the configuration including some high-lift concepts and several alternative fin and tail configurations:

The results of these all of these tests are excellent!

I expect to begin assembling the needed parts, materials and engineering resources to in the first part of the coming year.

Thanks for reading…Stay tuned for future updates.

Facetmobile and Aero News by Barnaby Wainfan via Tinyletter​
PO box 1855 manhattan beach, ca 90267 USA
Sent to bd5er@aol.comUnsubscribe
Delivered by
TinyLetter

cblink.007

@bwainfan
I remember that wind tunnel from my time there! On the engine front, have you considered a Yamaha Apex conversion? Smaller, lighter than a Rotax 912, and more powerful & efficient...cheaper than a 912 also!​

rv7charlie

I missed this thread back in April; just signed up. Are there any newsletters that I missed in the interim?

Thanks,

Charlie

rotax618

Great model, very impressive. Did you try it with only one fin? I found from my experiments that one fin produced the required yaw stability and was more effective at high alpha. The tip fins didn’t seem to have much effect.F73C41A3-0A2E-41C8-8CE6-68FE0CBAD874.jpeg