Barber Snark Aircraft Info

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

plncraze

HBA Supporter
Question for the group! I tried to email Bill Barber of Snark fame at snark@es.co.nz and my email was returned since the email was dead. I wanted to ask him about his Suzuki engine installation or try to get some pictures of the engine and reduction drive. Does anyone have some info? Thanks

Mad MAC

No idea for his contact details, but here is the list for W barber in the white pages in NZ (might be the Queenstown one).

A brief history of the snarks

These is a bit more here plus 1 pic of the drive chain

Last edited:

billyvray

I communicated with Bill via that email address in 2017. I sure hope all is ok, given the non-working email link.
Bill is an interesting and prolific guy. He has worked on a lot of other projects outside the Snarks.
The article in the link above, and the article attached, that Bill sent me himself, pretty much explains all the features of them.
The clutch is custom built by him, using his own ingenuity. Here are some quotes:

"The "spare Snark" is ZK-JPS, the one I fly occasionally now. I have another one in my workshop which has been near enough finished for about the last six years !
The problem is that I get involved in other peoples aeroplanes ! I've built a Falcomposite Furio for a friend, finished a Glassair and done a fair bit of work on an RV-6
in that time.
I rent hanger space at Wanaka airport, if I sell JPS I'll take the new one over there and get it flying before I get too old to be a test pilot !! I just don't want to pay rent for two aeroplanes.
The flexidyne type clutch is necessary to iron out torsional vibration where a shaft is involved. A pusher prop can be more efficient than a tractor prop, but only if there's
a clean entry ahead of it, hence the shaft. It's very effective and hasn't given any trouble at all. "

"Made it from scratch, I'd never seen one but figured out what it must be.
Machined an alloy housing which bolted to the flywheel face ( for the Suzuki models, the Rotax setup is a bit more complicated).
Inside the housing is a wavy plate attached to the shaft, a quantity of fine ss shot is loaded through a plug hole in the rear face of the housing.
That's about it really, they're quite simple, very effective, and don't seem to need much maintenance.
I think the shot is probably the stuff used for shot peening."
"Deformed a flat plate. The plate is .090" 4130. "

That's all I got,
BillSNARK4.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

plncraze

HBA Supporter
Thanks for the replies! Bill that is great info. You made a fluidyne coupling from scratch. Cheaper than the Mini Imp version which was $3000 several years ago. Also thanks for the article. More good pics there too.

billyvray

Oh no, not me, Bill Barber did. I'm Bill, just not THAT Bill. Confused yet?

Thanks for the replies! Bill that is great info. You made a fluidyne coupling from scratch. Cheaper than the Mini Imp version which was $3000 several years ago. Also thanks for the article. More good pics there too.

plncraze

HBA Supporter
Bill, you not Bill Barber, LOL, that magazine article and your info filled in a lot of blanks. Great pictures too! Thanks again!

Blackhawk

Looked up the NZ telephone number search and the phone number is still the same.

Barber W B
393 Littles Rd Dalefield Queenstown 9371
+64 - 03-442-5866

Lendo

The SNARK is an interesting design, only a couple were made from memory, the rear landing gear has to be able to be pushed forward for take off, otherwise it won't get off the ground. Yep one position for landing and one for Take-off, unless that has changed from later designs.
I like it but would like to see the complete specs of the design - Neutrally stable seems a worry.
George

Geraldc

Neutrally stable seems a worry.
From wiipedia. The Snark received positive reviews in the UK and NZ press. Former RNZAF Squadron Leader and aviation journalist Tim Cripps wrote in Pilot magazine, "this is the most enjoyable of the many aircraft I have flown - and that includes the Hunter". Similarly, David Laing, a former WWII pilot who built the fourth Snark, declared it to be "one of the nicest planes I've ever flown"