Balancing two Bing 54 Carbs on a Rotax 503

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Tuneturkey

HBA Supporter
10113, Hyde Park Ct., Baton Rouge, LA 70816
As a alternate to using a manometer to balance the two Bing 54's, is is possible to use a Dwyer, diff. pressure ga, 10 inches of water max rating, to do the fine tuning on the balance. Can't find the manifold suction pressure rating for the 503, but I suspect it is in line with the impulse pressure, around +/- 2-3 PSI, which is much in excess of the 10" water, but doing a mechanical balance with the slide pistons, to get close, then a fine tune with the Dwyer Ga.
Comments,
Thanks

kent Ashton

An idea from motorcycles: Small diameter clear vinyl tube formed into a circle with a B-B in the bottom of the loop. Differential suction displaces the BB. It is fairly sensitive.

proppastie

Log Member
I have one of those mercury balances..before that I would just hold my hand close to each carb inlet, and/or at the end of each exhaust. Any pressure gauge could work including a clear water tube with colored water. Never used the Dwyer....long time ago seemed to be 4 to 8 cm of mercury on a big 4 not sure about that though.

Hephaestus

My instinctive answer is you should check your local MG, triumph or Norton club.

Sorry best carb synchronization comes from octogenarians who use nothing but basic hand tools and no fancy gauges (sometimes they come out, but if they do you know you've got other problems) most likely will cost you rye or a case of labatts around here :)

Jim Chuk

Another way is to watch this utube video, and do like this guy is doing., I'm going to make a set up like this for my 912. What I did so far was run a line from each manifold to a T, with one end of the T going to a large vacuum gauge. I had a shut off valve in each line coming from the manifolds, and would open one while the other was closed, get a reading and then reverse the valves to get a reading from the other side. JImChuk

Bill-Higdon

delta

Make sure that what ever method you use, you also check the synchronization at partial throttle. Sometimes a small diameter hose between the carb and your ear will do in a pinch.