Bakeng Duce

Discussion in 'Completions' started by Craig, Nov 3, 2004.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Nov 3, 2004 #1

Craig

Craig

Craig

I finally got some decent pictures of NX96CW! Ya'll enjoy, and don't drool too much!
    Final flight will be shortly after the DAR takes a look.
    I'll try to post another picture.

Attached Files:

2. Nov 3, 2004 #2

Craig

Craig

Craig

Another View - NX96CW

The cockpit area.

Attached Files:

3. Nov 3, 2004 #3

Metalmaniac

Metalmaniac

Metalmaniac

Hey Craig -
    She sure is a beauty! You've got every right to be proud of that one. Now, maybe you can answer a question for me. I've seen this design around for a long time, and I always wondered how you pronounce it.
    And a tip of the hat to you again for a nice job. MetalManiac

4. Nov 3, 2004 #4

Jman

Jman

Jman

Site Developer

VERY VERY Nice! Congrats. So....Gonna hit all 50 states with that thing next summer?? :D

Just an idea! Thats one of my dreams is to take a huge trip in my Pietenpol one day.

Great Job – Love the paint!

5. Nov 3, 2004 #5

Craig

Craig

Craig

Thanks

Thanks, Metal and Jake!

Metal - it is pronounced as though you were cooking something in the oven - bak-ing. Jerry Bakeng was an engineer at Boeing in Seattle - nice guy. Retired now, he sold the rights to the airplane to Austin Cole, who can be found at www.bakengdeuce.com .
    Austin, to differentiate between what he is doing and what Jerry was doing, renamed it the Bakeng Deuce, hence my name for the airplane - "Deuces Wild". The nose art is from a bomber of the same name, pictures a beauty holding four deuces and an ace.

The plane took a month more than 4 years to build, starting with a fuselage someone else started. I had made most of the metal fittings back in '79, when I bought the plane. Family intervened, tho.

The engine is a zero-timed Lyc. O-290-D, 74 x 54 Sensenich prop. We used an AeroCarb, and that probably give us an additional 5-8 HP over stock.

It has an altitude encoder, but no transponder at present. Not sure if the turn coordinators work - but the ball at the bottom of them does, and that is what I use. There is a venturi to power the gyro horizon, and it does work, along with everything else. Flaps are electric, using a car window motor and a piece of toothed track against the motor gear.

All in all - it has been a lot of blood, sweat, and tears - and a helluva lot of fun!

Jake, at this time I have no plans for all 50, even all 48 - but I do plan a trip to Ohio next spring/summer. I was originally planning to take the Deuces Wild to Brazil, but my divorce (effective today!) cancelled that. Would have been a 5-day, 40 hour trip. A bit over 4,200 miles at 105 mph cruise - it will cruise at 125, but gets too windy for long flights.

Thanks again for your nice comments.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2004
  6. Nov 3, 2004 #6

wally

wally

wally

wow nice job!

Looks very nice Craig! Best wishes and congratulations.

Funny you should mention divorce. I have heard an old saying that the airworthiness paperwork usually arrives about the same time as the divorce paperwork.

A friend in MO about 15 years ago, the day his divorce was final was the day he bought his pietenpol. I saw him a few weeks ago, said he hasn't regretted either decision.
    Wally

sachaknoop likes this.
  7. Nov 5, 2004 #7

Othman

Othman

Othman

Grass Roots Aviation

Very beautiful airplane you have there.

There is nothing like open cockpit flying. This past autumn, with the trees changing to all sorts of colours, and the magnificent landscapes we have here, I had an "awakening" to reconsider grass roots aviation.

Think about it. With all the hustle and bustle of everyday life, we are constantly demanding everything to happen at light speed. There was a day when if you wanted to talk to someone, you would call em on the phone or write a letter. Now we e-mail... which is useful, but we get upset we don't get a reply immediately.

Well... what better to take you away from all that than a nice ride in an open cockpit airplane like the beauty in this thread. Flying over majestic hills or fields, not too fast, not too slow. Ahhhh... I'll have a good dream tonight.

Congratulations Craig! Fly safe. Sorry to hear about the divorce though.

8. Nov 5, 2004 #8

Craig

Craig

Craig

Thanks Again!

Ashraf and Wally -
    Thanks! And Ashraf, you are entirely right about the open cockpit experience. It is indeed a rush to enjoy the day without visual hindrances - sometimes you can even smell the earth and flowers.

With the windscreen, you get no direct wind - you can feel a bit on your upper arms is about all. Really surprised me. Even without it, there wasn't much wind hitting you, but for appearance and bugs, we thought we'd put it on.

At the divorce hearing, the ex did ask when she would be able to go for a ride in it - first interest she had shown in 4 years! She doesn't like the sports car racing, either!!!

Ya'll get busy and finish yours - and do a good job. It will be worth it, believe me.

9. Nov 5, 2004 #9

Craig

Craig

Craig

Yet another photo

Thought I'd drop in one more picture.

Attached Files:

10. Nov 5, 2004 #10

GNR

GNR

GNR

man thats kool, i quite like old planes,(as well as oldschool cars) fly well ?

11. Nov 6, 2004 #11

727200er

727200er

727200er

Not my type of plane, but a **** nice job. Oddly I tend to like the newer stuff but I have a soft spot for biplanes LOL. Anyway like I said, a fine job.

12. Nov 9, 2004 #12

Falco Rob

Falco Rob

Falco Rob

Hey Craig,

Like 727200er, I've never been a "wind in your hair, bugs in your teeth" man myself but do recognise and admire fine workmanship when I see it - an excellent job and one to be proud of.

One query - I notice in the photo of the cockpit the coaming looks to have a rather sharp edge. Tiger Moths and the like have a sort of rolled padded leather thingo designed to prevent the occupants receiving an unintentional frontal lobotomy in the event of a sudden stop.

Might be worth considering.

Rob

13. Nov 9, 2004 #13

Craig

Craig

Craig

Cowling padding

Rob -
    Not only is it a great idea, it is underway!
    I split a piece of 3/8" tube and contact-cemented it over the sharp edge, then took some of the temper foam that I used for the seats, and made a bevel edge piece about 3"wide. Used some dark upholstery material and cemented that over the foam, stretched it over the rubber tube, and on under the cowl. Looks good, and is quite effective.
    The seats are temper foam, and provide good thigh and lumbar support. After a few minutes, they contour to your butt and back - really comfortable. Best - they snap out to leave room for a thin pack parachute.
    Belts and harnesses are cam-locks out of one of the race cars. They are 3" wide, very heavy duty. We have to replace them every 24 months, so I used the old hardware and had them re-webbed. Most shops can do this for under $100 per set.
    Still need a transponder. I put in the encoder, and wired it, also the transponder antenna.
    The compass is a Hamilton vertical card - mounted directly in the line of sight to the rear spar of the center section. About as far as I could get it from all that steel tubing. After swinging, I noticed that my maximum difference on any heading was only 1 degree. Doesn't matter if the lights are on or off. The strobe power box is also located in the center section, but just behind the front spar.
    Both fuel gages are float operated - the main just a wire sticking up, the wing tank uses a stearman gage. Selector switch is just in front of the pilot's throttle.
    Wiring was one of the biggest problems - next plane I wire will use colored wires, not all white! Makes it a lot easier to track wiring faults. The wires are all labeled, but having them all white still is confusing.
    Come on down and look at it sometime - F45 (North Palm Beach County) is a fine airport to visit. As of this coming Friday, we are in hanger #19, third row from the east, north side of the airport. Even have a potty just around the corner! Coffee pot, too, but only my one cup - I'll try to get more.

14. Nov 10, 2004 #14

Falco Rob

Falco Rob

Falco Rob

Re: Cowling padding

"Come on down and look at it sometime - F45 (North Palm Beach County) is a fine airport to visit. "

Hey Craig,

Would love to, and I'd even bring my own coffee cup, but did you notice where I live !!

Cheers,

Rob

15. Nov 10, 2004 #15

Craig

Craig

Craig

Down Under/Up over

Falco Rob -
    Well, come on over any way! Ever been North of the equator? It will turn you around!!!

The only part of Aussie land that I've visited was a port call to Sydney in 1966 - all of 24 hours in port, about 4 hours ashore.

I do get to the Southern hemisphere on occaision - trips to Brazil. As I mentioned above, I was even planning to fly the Duce there.

Lets see - maybe if I tie it to a large hot air balloon and launch from South America, across Africa . . . .

Doesn't Quantas have several planes that they use for long trips like that?

16. Nov 11, 2004 #16

Falco Rob

Falco Rob

Falco Rob

Craig,

Have visited your country on several occasions, mostly work related.

Spent a very enjoyabe 6 months working in San Francisco and Denver in 1989.

I'm planning on getting to Oshkosh 2005 with a bunch of guys who are dedicated homebuilders here at Jandakot, the local GA airport in Perth.

Keep in touch, we might see you there.

Rob

17. Jan 11, 2014 #17

Bil438

Bil438

Bil438

Re: Cowling padding

I see mention of the fuselage fuel tank. I am looking for one. If you have an extra 20+ gal tank, that doesn't leak, please reply to this.

18. Jan 11, 2014 #18

Pops

Pops

Pops

Great looking airplane. My next door neighbor used to have a Bakeng Duce with a Cont- 0-300A engine and Cessna 170 gear legs. One of the thing I like about the Bakeng Duce is the room in both cockpits, and big enough to not be quick and twitchy. More like a 2 place open cockpit C-170. Have fun. Dan

19. Jan 12, 2014 #19

Brian Clayton

Brian Clayton

Brian Clayton

I love old threads....
    I was just about to reply to falco rob "I think you have missed oshkosh 2005", then I noticed the date. :)

20. Jan 12, 2014 #20

Pops

Pops

Pops

Who-in-the- heck has time to look at dates ? :) Dan