Badland F2 kit

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Peer Ebbighausen

Log Member
So, after a long time lurking and poring over the posts here (and dealing with one thing after another in my day to day...) I finally took delivery of my UL airframe kit from Chris Deuel at Badland. The start has been slow, since I'm lucky to still be working and busy, but progress IS being made!

I'm hoping I can reach out to the group here for tips and advice as the build progresses, since this is my first attempt at building something that should be able to lift me off the ground when it's done, and (with any luck) bring me back down gently.

VB, it's been a while, but I haven't forgotten checking out your plane and chatting for a brief bit. I hope the offer of returning for another visit (when everything settles) still stands! And hopefully the EAA chapter by you still has a vacancy.

For now, I'm counting parts and taking inventory, I'm fitting pieces together and seeing how they fit, and easing myself into what seems like a pretty daunting task when most of the little bits are still in bags and boxes...

I'm (hopefully) adding a single pic, to make sure I know how...from the trek home from Vegas with my new project.

Attachments

Victor Bravo

Congratulations ! Welcome to the asylu... I mean airplane tinkerers club. (Basket weaving is down the hallway to the left, just past Jack Nicholson and Nurse Ratched...)

I'm currently working on something pretty similar to what you have

We would love to have you involved in our local chapter, absolutely! We've got some significant resources, a fair bit of experience, and are happy to help.

Are you planning on building this as a Part 103 UL, or an N numbered LSA? Do you have an engine picked out for it?

Peer Ebbighausen

Log Member
Well, thank you! Glad there's still room in the asyl...club.

I am going for part 103, absolutely. My intent is to keep as light as possible, without compromising build integrity or safety.

Covering will likely be Oratex in Cub yellow (1/4 naked look - aft end left open) when the time comes. I got a good sized sample from Better Aircraft Fabric, and it seems like good stuff.)

Badland's last build was an F3 that came in (as I recall) 16 pounds under the 254# limit. So I feel I have some room to work with.

Engine is a Polini Thor 200 - 30hp and a fixed pitch e-prop to pull it. (I may upgrade down the line, depending on my weight. The idea of a 1/2-VW really appeals to me.)

I saw you got yourself another project... (Was it a Ridgerunner 2?) Very cool plane. Should be a nice project. You're losing the nosewheel, as I recall?

galapoola

Glad to hear you are working, many are not. I love the pictures of Chris plopping the whole plane in his pickup bed and driving to the field. His website says that 1/2 VW "may" put you over. There are creative ways to make it legal. Whatever is non-essential doesn't count. For instance, James Wiebe created a removable turtledeck which gave him 8lbs and made one of his builds legal. A safety chute gives you extra allowable lbs. There are toss chutes that are very light and there's some more wiggle room. I like the Badlands. Did you sit in one, how tall are you?

Peer Ebbighausen

Log Member
I have not sat in one yet, but it looks like I'll fit comfortably. I'm 5'11".

And yes, I am VERY thankful that I am still working. I know a lot of people have it pretty hard right now. I'm lucky in that I can work from home.

cdlwingnut

HBA Supporter
Log Member
welcome to the asyl.. um builders club.
It seams daunting but the best advice I can give, (and bear in mind I have yet to build a flying plane) is to think of it as a lot of small projects. and celebrate the small victories, "Yay I glued tapes to my rudder" type victories.
Have a lot of fun and please make a build log. We love seeing peoples progress.

Peer Ebbighausen

Log Member
Thanks for the motivation! I definitely need to get in the mindset that it's one small project at a time!

Does the building log allow comments? I was under the impression that it doesn't. (I am hoping I can collect ideas and knowledge from other members through the log while I build...)

pwood66889

"Does the building log allow comments? "
It is my understanding that Builder's Logs do not allow comments from the asyl... erm, Peanut Gallery. Better to have a comments allowed, in my opinion, in a parallel thread "Ver Das Lookenpeepers."

Victor Bravo

I believe the current method is to start a thread titled "Badlands F2 Build Log With Comments". This is not technically started as a builder log (which is restricted), it is simply a "discussion thread". That allows all of the interested parties to post, but it also forces you to police it and politely shoo people away if the discussion goes too far afield.

I'm thrilled that you are starting a build, but the greedy ba**ard in me wishes I had been able to show you something very similar I have for sale that might have met the airplane portion of your desire. I do have an open 103 ultralight that I got with the Ridge Runner, which is surplus to my needs. I had my used car salesman white patent leather shoes ready and everything... Say pal, don't you think you'd like to have a closer-to- flying 103 UL while you're tinkering with that total-build kit???? ;)

addicted2climbing

Log Member
Wow looks cool on top of the car.. just dont go into any drive through like that. Saw a few mountain bikes ripped off the top of a car once... I am also at KWHP like VB and have a few fun project and your welcome to stop by. I am there 3 or 4 days a week working and I am fortunate enough to still be working as well and do it at the hangar now.

Do you plan to fly this in Camarillo? I have a small hangar there as well that I will keep the Zigolo when its done.

Peer Ebbighausen

Log Member
VB, that sounds enticing, but to be honest, I'm not sure if I'm more into the building or the flying...but...what's the UL you are selling? hehe

ScaleBirdsScott, so do I! I think it's going to be a pretty slow journey, as time and resources are pretty stretched, but I'm in no rush. I just want to get it right.

Addicted, I think I missed you when I paid VB a visit at KWHP. It may have been your "day off". Next time!

I plan on draqging it to El Mirage lake bed at first, until I get comfortable. I also need to collect some more hours in an LSA prior. It's been a long time and too few hours as it is.

I haven't looked into Camarillo, but intend to. I DID drop in on the small UL airfield in Perris, and chatted with a couple of the guys out there. Either one would be relatively convenient, since I bounce between LA and Palm Springs...

Victor Bravo

If you have not flown off of the dry lakes previously, it can be a little bit of a learning curve... same principle as a "glassy water landing" in a floatplane.

It's easy to land the airplane at 2 feet above or below ground level on a perfectly smooth white lake bed. Once you've flown the lakebeds a little, then you feel at home.

But all I'm saying is the first test flight on the aircraft should not be the first test flight on a lake bed.

The ultralight project I have out near El Mirage is this one, however there is new "world health pandemic" pricing now in effect:

Peer Ebbighausen

Log Member
I HAD considered the issue of having a lack of depth (or height ) perception at El Mirage...it seems like a double edged sword; on the other hand, I can't miss the runway! And I like the idea of a very wide open space, giving me plenty of room, or so I imagine. I'll likely start with some taxi testing (and tail wheel practice), and it seems like it might be a good place for that.

I'm open to suggestions on locations... Is the Sportster at Brian Ranch? Good looking little plane, and looks like a fun project for sure.

Victor Bravo

Yes the Sportster is stored in a friend's hangar at Brian. No reason whatsoever to be worried about the lake bed, it is just something you need to practice on a little to get used to. Also, there are several areas on the lake that are not smooth at all. The 4WD and dirt bike guys just love to dig huge ruts in the lake when it's wet, and then when it's all dry you have a foot-deep near-concrete groove that will pull the landing gear off of an airplane in a split second. But these grooves are reasonably easy to see.

Peer Ebbighausen

Log Member
I'll definitely want to scope El Mirage out before I do anything. It's been a long time since I've been out there, but I do recall the rutting.

I've got time before that happens, though. The current focus is getting this UL put together and confirming that it'll be safe to fly. I'm new to the building thing as far as flying objects go. So be prepared for the possibility of a lot of seemingly stupid questions from an overly paranoid mind. (Perhaps I AM in the right asylum!)

I went to Brian Ranch sometime last year to check it out, and spoke to a few of the folks out there. I heard Jack passed away quite recently. I had spoken to him briefly; he seemed like a nice guy. I was sorry to hear of his passing.

Victor Bravo

I had heard he was not feeling well, but not that he had passed away. What a shame and a loss to the UL community. Anyone else here heard that Jack Brian passed away??? SteveL, Trifoils?

Peer Ebbighausen

Log Member
I saw it posted by someone on the UL Facebook page as I recall...a few weeks back maybe?

Yellowhammer

I have not sat in one yet, but it looks like I'll fit comfortably. I'm 5'11".

And yes, I am VERY thankful that I am still working. I know a lot of people have it pretty hard right now. I'm lucky in that I can work from home.

Glad you got your project and I am glad you are working.

In the State of California alone the unemployment rate has reached n
early 30 percent. As high or higher than during the Great Depression Days.

What strikes me odd about all of this "social distancing" is historically, only people who are sick are quarantined. I have never heard of healthy people being quarantined before.

My humble opinion is that we need to get back to life and reestablish commerce because those little stimulus checks aint gonna cut it.

God Bless!

Peer Ebbighausen

Log Member
I had the same though regarding the social distancing...my only thought is that it relates to being contagious while being asymptomatic (which from my understanding is unusual).

And yes, that stimulus was not very stimulating.

And here is my first build-related question! Please let me know if I should start a new thread with my query!

The tail wheel spring provided with the kit is rather robust and heavy. (1/4" thick and 1.75 inches wide, weighing in at 1.8 pounds.) Perhaps it needs to be - I'm no engineer...hence my post!

I'd like to find an alternative that is lighter, strong enough for the task, and won't break the bank, if at all possible. Any thoughts?