Badland Aircraft

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Cool! A little difficult to navigate their website on a phone, but it looks like the price point is very enticing.

lr27

What's with the titanium? Seems extravagant.

Also, if I see exactly 254 lbs quoted, I get suspicious.

Victor Bravo

Looks like the cracks in the dry lake surface will swallow up one of those tiny little tires....

Their website says "Our tried and true design has been through the research and development ringer more than once..."

Does that mean that it was designed using a telephone?

The website goes on "With the whole plane weighing less than 250lbs and its collapsible wings..."

As the great Jose Jimenez said, "Oh I hope not!"

Transporting it in the back of the pickup is pretty cool though, I will give them that.

Bill_Dana_Jose_Jimenez_astronaut_Bill_Dana_Show_1963.JPG

Last edited:

radfordc

Isnt that the same rule to qualify a plane? If it looks like a plane and flies like a plane..........prove it's an ultralight.
Actually....no. Ultralights get treated differently as long as they look "ultralighty".

Victor Bravo

I wish them well, and hope they can offer a good airplane at a low enough price to make a dent in whatever market there is for this. Since I opened up my big mouth and made fun of their website text content, I'll volunteer to rewrite it for them, in a little better grammatical style, if they're interested. Might not make no never-mind one way or another though.

WBNH

Belite sold off the old Kitfox Lite welding fixtures years ago (I assume to the Badland team,) when they went all aluminum riveted construction. But if you go to their website now there's barely a mention of the ultralight altogether, focusing on their instrument business and the Chipper two-place.

Similarly the Backyard Flyer and Big Twin engines seem to be discontinued as well, according to the Valley Engineering page.

I wish Badlands well, but at best, producing an ultralight should be seen as a hobby, as there doesn't seem to be a career in it.

(Interesting to read their F5 model uses a full titanium airframe. A lot of titanium and welds.)

ScaleBirdsScott

Well the site is navigable but annoying. If it would just calm down I'd be happy with it.

Simple little project from the looks of it. I like the proportions overall. stripped down bobber-style like this, reminds me a lot of the Legal Eagle. That's not a bad thing.

Group Builder