• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Bad slosh sealant in a leaking wet wing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjgritter

Hi all,

I've got a project airplane with metal, wet wings that has a few problems. First, I'm told at least one wing has a small leak. Second, and the reason I haven't even tried to verify the first - it appears that someone tried to fix that leak by sloshing the tank with Red-kote, which is an automotive slosh sealant. I'm not certain that's what they used, but it's certainly red, and that seems to be a popular choice.

The big problem: the sealant coating is visibly coming loose just inside the fuel cap. I haven't borescoped the tank yet to see how bad it looks everywhere else, but if it's flaking loose right under the cap, I'm not optimistic. I'm concerned that as sealant flakes off, it'll fairly quickly clog the fuel system.

There's no practical way to gain physical access inside the wing to clean this stuff out manually.

My first thought would be to attack it with acetone or MEK to soften and wash out the sealant, but: the wing construction is bonded with ProSeal in addition to being riveted together. The ProSeal is both for primary sealing of the tank as well as structural reinforcement. I'm fairly certain that MEK in the tank would ruin those bonds. I see some anecdotes that ProSeal is fairly impervious to acetone. If true, perhaps that would be a good choice?

I'm eager for any suggestions one how to tackle this!

Thanks in advance,

RJ

Back