• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Backup battery power for EFIS/panel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwalker

Supporting Member
As I go through the now countless revisions trying to figure out what my panel will eventually look like, and having read of various electrical issues that knocks out some or all of the panel, I am very interested to hear other folks thoughts, opinions, and strategies for powering a "modern" panel should battery and alternator power go away. The chance of the main battery failing while in flight are so low I had never considered it actually doing so, and this may largely be a boondoggle that does not resolve itself, because no real solution is needed, although I suppose the possibility of a short.

In my current version for my Vari-eze panel I plan to use a Stratux ADSB and a Talos Flysense AOA Pro, two tablets- probably 10" Galaxy or Surface, a digital engine monitor, radio- likely an ICOM or maybe MGL, and that is about it beyond panel lights and transponder. The tablets obviously have internal batteries, and both the Stratux and Talos have low power requirements. I fell like the radio and engine monitor would be easy to wire to a small, lightweight battery pack that would power them for an hour or so, long enough to get on the ground.
My current wiring plan has the main battery powering everything, the panel on the master and avionics switches and the engine/fuel pumps on a dedicated switch. The engine/fuel pumps will also have a small backup battery that will power them for a couple hours or so. Obviously, a larger backup battery would run them longer, but at a weight penalty. The only reason I am considering this is with the weight savings of changing over to the EFIS/EIM systems, better wiring practices, and smaller lighter battery technology the V-eze will actually need more weight up front to correct CG. Might as well make it useful.

How would you go about a battery backup solutions to power just the panel and what you needed to get on the ground in the event of a short, Main Bus failure, etc.? Really interested in hearing various thoughts, ideas, and seeing examples of how other have done it.

Back