Baby boomers flying high in light aircraft!

Discussion in 'General Experimental Aviation Questions' started by Armilite, Aug 29, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 1, 2016 #61

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator

Pops likes this.
  2. Sep 1, 2016 #62

rbrochey

rbrochey

rbrochey

My 12 year old daughter has taken an interest in whittling small animals from the spruce scraps in my shop. She asked for help and I told her she came to the right place. My 9 year old daughter wants to help me build my plane... I showed her the plans. She nodded approval. I think it may in part be because they go to a Catholic Mission school on the Navajo reservation and 99% of the kids are Navajo and most raise sheep and live far removed from the madding crowd. So my daughter turns 13 next month and at 67 I'm okay with her growing up and helping her find her place in the world. I think whittling will help. And I think buying her that new whittling knife she wants will help to. ;)

MikePousson and Pops like this.
  3. Sep 1, 2016 #63

TerryM76

TerryM76

TerryM76

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

cdlwingnut, gtae07, BJC and 2 others like this.
  4. Sep 1, 2016 #64

VFR-on-top

VFR-on-top

VFR-on-top

gtae07 likes this.
  5. Sep 1, 2016 #65

TerryM76

TerryM76

TerryM76

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Terry, here's something to think about -- back in the (50s &) 60s many pilots were ex-military who formerly served in wars (ww2) that were heavily aviation-based. This gave GA a huge boost. Kids who grew up in the 60/70s didn't have that kind of widespread active partipication (no draft and/or large wars), hence the stall of GA that continues to this day.[/QUOTE]

I agree with that observation. GA was ramping up in the late 40s and 50s as you stated. Vietnam era pilots also perpetuated the interest in flying into the 70s and NASAs moon shots kept the public interested in the frontiers of space travel. If I recall correctly, production of small aircraft peaked in the mid to late 70s. And then it seemed like the whole world changed almost overnight. Arab oil embargo caused a huge increase in fuel, our society became more litiginous when they discovered huge payouts could be had from lawsuits in which the manufacturers were blamed for the operators negligence, airline deregulation made it possible for anyone wearing a dirty tee shirt and flip flops with $50 in their pocket to fly coast-to-coast. So Joe Public turned to safer and cheaper modes of fun and travel.

And please don't get me provoked with a discussion about disco-music.

VFR-on-top likes this.
  6. Sep 3, 2016 #66

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Nonetheless, the 70's represent the largest period of expansion of GA in history. Again, the "stall" or lack of interest in airplanes is in part due to so many encroachments into a persons head. A guy could wake up in the morning with the genuine interest/intention of inquiring about flying but by lunchtime his mind has been bombarded with several million bits of information all tugging in a different direction. By afternoon he has forgotten all about it. If there was a way to do it, we could lock people in a room with no distractions, only a book about flying/ building airplanes as the case may be. At some point they would pick it up, read and become interested because there would be no distractions, lol.

7. Sep 3, 2016 #67

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Terry, that's one of the job options I'm considering because in the near future I'll simply be to old to fly a plane.
    Can try and lead those with an interest to the point they block out other distractions and become intrinsically motivated to learn more. Once that happens the instructor was successful.

8. Sep 3, 2016 #68

Derswede

Derswede

Derswede

Wow, you just described me to a "T". No money for any kind of toys for years, now I can start dreaming. 60 years and the first 20 spent rebuilding airplanes, 40 years of earning to be able to do what I want, and now barely have the energy to do it. Tho the wife did say today, when I commented on an airplane I was looking at, that she would not mind me having its stablemate (Porsche 911, had one some years back), but she preferred that to the plane, cause SHE could drive it. I said, no way! My toy, my rules. She can buy one when she gets the life insurance check. Maybe I CAN get the airplane now....!

Most kids are going to go first player role playing, not do it yourself. Offered one local kid to help him rebuild a nice vintage motorcycle, he said that he would just guilt his dad into buying him a new one. I made out, ended up with a nice Triumph Trident for pocket change, kid ended up with a crotch rocket, already has blown the engine. My find will be on the road this fall. Anyone wanna trade straight up for a nice LSA bird? Wink..

Derswede