Baby Aerovee

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

imamac96

Hi all,

I prefer the Aerovee ignition system over the mags. Since I am working on a Thatcher CX4, I’m considering the possibility of going with an 1835cc, but I have a huge portion of Aerovee parts. 1835cc parts are much more affordable, and I’m tempted to consider pursuing an 1835 build.

It seems as if there’s nothing stopping anyone from building an 1835cc engine with the Aerovee accessory plate and ignition system (other than the frown of disapproval from Sonex). Am I missing something here? It doesn’t seem that this has been done before.

Thanks,
Connor

Pops

Log Member
It's my understanding that Aerovee will not sell you engine parts unless you bought the engine from them.
Other people on this site should know for sure.
The 1835 cc engine is the most bang for the buck for sure.

imamac96

Pops,

Aerovee serial numbers are tied to the accessory plate. I am allowed to buy parts from them, but I cannot buy a new accessory plate. It seems like a waste of a good starter and ignition system if I don’t rebuild, but parts from GPA are just so much more reasonably priced.

Vigilant1

Aerovee serial numbers are tied to the accessory plate. I am allowed to buy parts from them, but I cannot buy a new accessory plate. It seems like a waste of a good starter and ignition system if I don’t rebuild, but parts from GPA are just so much more reasonably priced.
Could you just buy a used/prop strike/ etc Aerovee for the accessory plate, build a GPAS 1835cc engine using it, and sell the other Aerovee engine stuff you don't want?

FWIW, the alternator/ignition setup on the Remaster is very similar to the Aerovee, you might like it as well. Maybe Revmaster will sell you just the parts you want.

The engine in my Sonex started life as a stock Aerovee 2180cc engine. After some lubrication issues (case not properly drilled to allow enough oil to the pulley-now-prop bearing), the builder had the case bored for a Force One prop hub and he also fitted the GPAS Top Bug crankshaft. So, the engine has the Sonex accessory plate/ignition/alternator but a Force One hub and bearing in place of the stock bearing and shrink-to-fit prop hub.

Last edited:

imamac96

vigilant1,

I did buy an Aerovee with a prop strike. I didn’t realize the cylinders were burned up, so I will have to rebuild the entire thing. I am considering buying the 1835cc kit from GP and using that with the starter/ignition system from the Aerovee. I’m trying to figure out if there’s anything (besides the dowel pin alignment issue I’ve heard of) that would prevent this from working.

-C

Geraldc

FWIW, the alternator/ignition setup on the Remaster is very similar to the Aerovee, you might like it as well. Maybe Revmaster will sell you just the parts you want.
From website .Not presently available for retrofit, only for new engine orders.
I was looking at a Revmaster motor that someone purchased to fit in a VW beetle. They sold the mags and accessories.I think now they have a motor that is not much use for either purpose.

karmarepair

Thing one: Even though I own one, I don't love the AeroVee ignition. Fixed advance, weak spark (look at the gap setting), the coils are from now discontinued B&S opposed twin, and what AeroVee sells are aftermarket because Briggs changed the design of the coils for those engines, and the new production Briggs coils don't fit the accessory case without a lot of die grinder work. It IS light, it IS simple.

Thing Two: Revmaster has gone through several ignition iterations, and I don't like any of them. Past generations of circuit boards were point-to-point soldered components on a breadboard potted in epoxy - they have improved since then. They use unreliable Molex connectors, still. I've shopped a Revmaster powered Waiex the owner grounded and sold due to his frustration with the ignition. I passed...

Thing Three: Pops has extolled the virtues of the 1835, but consider a MILD stroker that need NO case machine work 1800cc VW Engine - Budget Big VW Engine by Aircooled.Net VW Parts
But your case is already bored for big cylinders, and clearanced for a stroker crank. Has the case been checked for alignment? Good cases are getting scarce and expensive. You don't HAVE to put big crank it it.
And they make 94mm cylinders now with THIN walls on the case side, so they fit in normal 92mm holes in the case.

Geraldc

Even though I own one, I don't love the AeroVee ignition. Fixed advance, weak spark
The Jabiru system is similar but they use Honda lawnmower coils that have advance built in. The trigger magnets are neodymium that give a good spark at cranking speed.

TiPi

Log Member
The Jabiru system is similar but they use Honda lawnmower coils that have advance built in. The trigger magnets are neodymium that give a good spark at cranking speed.
The info that I have gathered is as follows:
Honda P/N 30500-Z5T-003: 12deg timing advance (used on GX340/390)
Honda P/N 30500-Z6L-043: 14deg timing advance (used on GX630/660/690)
EDIT: this is actually a retard below a certain rpm. The coil electronics can't advance the trigger point at higher rpm, they retard it at lower rpm.

The Jabiru system should be relatively easy to copy or maybe even to get the machined magnet holders?
1642759202892.png

I'm not sure if the Honda coil used by Jabiru has the advance. The P/N from their Gen4 manual doesn't come up good.
The picture shows the coil with a single P-pin where the GX390 and GX690 coils with the advance have a recessed 4-pin connector.
1642757935155.png
1642757989329.png
Honda coil on Jab engine - Honda coil wiring
1642758224833.png1642759008908.png

Last edited: