B-29 Replica Takes Shape

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

ZacYates

Hi all, new member here. I was directed to this thread by a post about the project on the Warbird Information Exchange (WIX), and am utterly fascinated! I was hoping Jack Bally's project - and for that matter the French DH Mosquito - would spur others on to build scaled bomber replicas* but I didn't expect a B-29! What a project! It was a thrill to see the unacknowledged background reveal of the airframe in the video.

Hopefully Tom gives the go-ahead for photos and more info to be shared as I think this will generate a lot of buzz in the homebuilt community once it's more widely known.

*personally I'd love a Hughes H-4 Hercules...

billyvray

Off topic from the B29 talk (which is Awesome by the way)...but my replica would be a single seat 3/4 scale, single-place OV-10 Bronco (or it's cousin the Convair Model 48). Paired up with some turbo Yamahas...c'mon man.

For reference here's a 38% RC model ...

Attachments

• 38% bronco.jpg
    38% bronco.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

WBNH

Fricken awesome.

For it's size, I'm surprised they went with 4 engines. Perfect for scale, but it looks smaller than some twins...like it could fly with two firing, two feathered dummies.

Also looks like you'd need an effective trim, or ballast, for changing pilot weights, seated so far forward. Especially as a two-up tandem.
(At 135lbs, I've been told I could never fly a Challenger II solo as there's a minimum weight for the front seat.)

Any plans for bomb bay for candy drops? A scale X-1? Dang my imagination...overdrive.

Last edited:

ScaleBirdsScott

I'm still curious what kind of visibility this will have for the occupants. I'm sure it's not exactly bubble canopy good, but am curious if it could be reasonable and safe for recerational flying or if its mostly for controlled exhibition flights.

billyvray

I'm still curious what kind of visibility this will have for the occupants. I'm sure it's not exactly bubble canopy good, but am curious if it could be reasonable and safe for recerational flying or if its mostly for controlled exhibition flights.
Judging by the throttle and side-stick control location on the interior pic, the front seat will be right at the back of the main front glass area. The second seat appears like it will be back underneath the top turret.
Front seat might have ok visibility (not to the side and back) but the back seat's will be pretty poor, I think.

thompsonbb

I just watched all the videos Tom has posted on youtube; the guy is a walking master class in CF layup techniques.
Regarding the design of the B-29, it looks like it's largely aluminum skin over CF ribs. I have to wonder if that was primarily done for cost purposes? I mean, to do it all in CF would be an acre of fabric at least. If that assumption is correct, I'd like to know how the issue of galvanic corrosion between the aluminum and CF was solved. I've seen other projects use stainless as the fasteners, and a layer of fiberglass any place where the CF would touch the aluminum. I didn't see anything like that here (though it could certainly be there, and just not visible in the limited pictures). Is there some combination of aluminum alloy and CF resin that aren't so far apart, electrically? Or is this just going to be kept dry all the time, so don't worry about it so much?

TurbAero

Supporting Member
Judging by the throttle and side-stick control location on the interior pic, the front seat will be right at the back of the main front glass area. The second seat appears like it will be back underneath the top turret.
Front seat might have ok visibility (not to the side and back) but the back seat's will be pretty poor, I think.
The rear seat looks to be perfectly located for the pilots head to be inside the top turret. My guess is that the top turret might be tinted glass that the rear seat pilot can look out of.

This is an absolutely awesome project and is a concept that I have certainly dreamed of in the past. I don’t know this gentleman but even from just looking at the pictures, he has my utmost respect.