B-29 Replica Takes Shape

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

ScaleBirdsScott

That's an interesting method using the carbon for fuselage frames with alu stringers. Wonder if significant weight savings or just significant manufacturing savings. I can't begin to imagine what the thing weighs all loaded. But probably not as much as one might think.

rv6ejguy

I've respected Tom's wishes over the last 5 years that I not publish photos of the project here until he says it's ok. He'd like to get closer to the finish before he's inundated with visitors wasting his time and cutting into build time. Seems like a good idea to me. We'd all like to see it done and flying, right?.

Saville

I've respected Tom's wishes over the last 5 years that I not publish photos of the project here until he says it's ok. He'd like to get closer to the finish before he's inundated with visitors wasting his time and cutting into build time. Seems like a good idea to me. We'd all like to see it done and flying, right?.

If that's what he asked then that's what should happen.

In an earlier post you wrote this:

"35% scale, 50 foot wingspan, 40" fuselage diameter, 2 seats in tandem...."

Two seats in tandem eh? Wow neat.

Can you tell us where the front/command pilot will be seated?

Some surmise that the pilot's head will stick up into that oversized dome on top of the fuselage, aft of the carbon nose section. That may well be true but I think it's also possible that the pilot will sit in the carbon nose section:

The carbon nose section is 47"long x 40" in diameter, according to the builder's video.

Looking at the measurements of the interior of an RV-8, you get 41.5" high and 45-51" long.

interior_rv-8.gif

The top of my head doesn't touch the canopy and I'm 5'10". So height-wise there's a couple inches to spare in the B-29 40" diameter. The oversized dome could be for the copilot.

However the nose section tapers and I wonder if there's enough room for rudder pedals.

Any info on where the command pilot sit would be appreciated - so long as it doesn't violate Mr Hodgson's requests.

Thanks

Last edited:

Saville

Looks like the pilot's seat back is about 30 inches aft of the aft most windows and rudder pedals roughly in line with said windows so you wouldn't be able to see directly to the side.

So is the command pilot looking out the forward windows only? Or is the command pilot's head in that oversized dome on the top of the fuselage?

Last edited:

Saville

I could only guess forward. I don't think you'd have enough visual reference aft. The 35% scale dome is too small to see anywhere but straight up, being the original astrodome I believe.

I don't think I'm asking my question clearly:

When the Front seat pilot is in the seat, do you think the Pilot's head is in the oversized dome at the top of the fuselage? Is that how the command pilot see's out?

This is a still shot taken from Mr. Hodgson's video:
B_29_2.png

In your opinion, looking at the above picture, is the front seat pilot's head in that blue dome on the top of the fuselage when seated normally and flying the airplane?

ScaleBirdsScott

Lol. He answered exactly the question, and no way anyone's head fits up in that dome.

My guess is the pilot is seated more or less in a glider-like position with feet up in the composite nose straddling the landing gear. They may have some visibility out the side window ports for taxi. I would imagine it useful to put a camera up in the top dome.

Rhino

I'm guessing the pilot sits right between those two side windows, so he can view forward and to both sides, albeit with some obstructions. I guess is If Lindbergh could do it....

rv6ejguy

I don't think I'm asking my question clearly:

When the Front seat pilot is in the seat, do you think the Pilot's head is in the oversized dome at the top of the fuselage? Is that how the command pilot see's out?

This is a still shot taken from Mr. Hodgson's video:
View attachment 118429

In your opinion, looking at the above picture, is the front seat pilot's head in that blue dome on the top of the fuselage when seated normally and flying the airplane?
SBS is correct. Looks from an inside photo that the pilots head will be about where carbon fiber nose piece meets the aluminum.

Saville

Lol. He answered exactly the question, and no way anyone's head fits up in that dome.
Well actually, what he said was:

"The 35% scale dome is too small to see anywhere but straight up, being the original astrodome I believe."

He's talking about the original dome scaled down (as well as identifying it as the astrodome).
And the blue dome in the video snap I took shows that the dome on the scaled B-29 is NOT to 35% scale.

You can see it here on Fifi just aft of the gun turret:

B-29_Fifi.jpg

So while I agreed with him that a 35% scaled down astrodome would only allow you to see up,
and that one could not stick one's head in it, that is not what's on the scaled B-29.

And the whole point of my questions was to determine if the desing intends for the command pilot's head to be in the non-35% scaled dome that's on the homebuilt.

rv6ejguy

Well actually, what he said was:

"The 35% scale dome is too small to see anywhere but straight up, being the original astrodome I believe."

He's talking about the original dome scaled down (as well as identifying it as the astrodome).
And the blue dome in the video snap I took shows that the dome on the scaled B-29 is NOT to 35% scale.

You can see it here on Fifi just aft of the gun turret:

View attachment 118445

So while I agreed with him that a 35% scaled down astrodome would only allow you to see up,
and that one could not stick one's head in it, that is not what's on the scaled B-29.

And the whole point of my questions was to determine if the desing intends for the command pilot's head to be in the non-35% scaled dome that's on the homebuilt.
I have sat in FIFI which was very cool. I don't know what Tom intends but you couldn't see much craning your head through that dome. I don't think he is installing gun turrets from what I can see so far in the photos either. You can't add all the details from the full size one easily.

You can see in the replica why the pilot has to sit so far aft- due to the nose gear position. The pilot won't have good visibility for flying this aircraft.

Riggerrob

Pilot visibility can be vastly improved by installing more Plexiglas windows, but sliding in opaque sunscreens for static display. similarly if the pilot wants to poke his head up into the non-scale blue dome while flying, the blue dome can be quickly replaced by a properly-scaled gun turret for static display. The aft fuselage has plenty of volume for storing "display" items.

I have sketched in similar screens for my half-scale BV 141 replica. That project is only at the "sketching" stage.