B-29 Replica Takes Shape

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

rv6ejguy

The builder of the B-29 replica sent me some more photos a couple weeks back showing the wings mated to the fuselage. Sorry I still can't share these until he says so but great to see more progress on this. I'm hopeful he'll soon be moving the airframe to another hangar in a few more weeks to start working on the final assembly.

Last edited:

rv6ejguy

I talked to the builder today. He has taken the wings off to do the detailed fitting of the engines and radiators into the nacelles, X 4 of course. Once that is completed, it will be on to wiring runs and systems and hopefully with warming weather by Spring, he'll get each assembly into the paint shop in turn. He asked me to wait a bit more before sharing photos, hopefully by late Spring '22 when he has it painted and back together when he'll share more photos with me.

sotaro

I will wait, but I can't wait to see the photos, and even more, to see it in flight! Amazing. In 1971, I read a Flying article about a scaled B17 with 4 VW engines. It was under construction as I remember...if I remember. Thank you for your report.

ScaleBirdsScott

Does he has any relation to this gentleman on YouTube, Tom Hobgson? I don't really know if it's a RC plane or what but it's huge! Carbon fiber tips are good too.
That could be something. Very neat workshop.

Some illuminating videos for composite construction methods! ;)

sming

All hail the (increasingly concerning) algorithm then! The video was suggested out of the blue just after i read your post...
When I saw him put 7 layers of carbon, I was like "hmmm that's for man carrying planes! Is this it??"
incredible project!