B-17G For Sale

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Tiger Tim

I think I said it in another thread here but imagine if you did have a spare quarter million dollars and bought this. Then what?

Derswede

Hmmm...how many members here? $250 each and a day to fly it every 3 years? It can be based at the small local field near me..Grins Derswede

TXFlyGuy

When will you be making tire ruts on that runway, Tex?

BJC
Ha! We are scheduled for the paint shop 3rd week in February, should be ready to fly shortly after that. The Phase One 40 hour fly off in Ohio, then get the bird down here to 3TX2.
We figure April, or early May at the latest...weather permitting.

Reactions: BJC

Toobuilder

Log Member
I'll be shocked if this B-17 replica pulls even $25k in the real market. As interesting a project as it is, it fails just about every test of practicality one can imagine. As a single seater it is a horrible transportation appliance, its non aerobatic, and does not match even the most impractical ultralight for ease of operation, and its likely really unpleasant to fly.

The only thing that remains is the conversation starter you would get at a pancake breakfast. That's a LOT of money to stroke one's ego. Frankly, if you want to be the center of attention that bad, paint an RV pink with purple polka dots and arrive at the pancake breakfast in a lime green speedo...

You will spend far less money and still have a reasonable airplane in the end.

pictsidhe

I'll be shocked if this B-17 replica pulls even $25k in the real market. As interesting a project as it is, it fails just about every test of practicality one can imagine. As a single seater it is a horrible transportation appliance, its non aerobatic, and does not match even the most impractical ultralight for ease of operation, and its likely really unpleasant to fly.

The only thing that remains is the conversation starter you would get at a pancake breakfast. That's a LOT of money to stroke one's ego. Frankly, if you want to be the center of attention that bad, paint an RV pink with purple polka dots and arrive at the pancake breakfast in a lime green speedo...

Now I'm wondering if Choppergirl's pink and purple vj24 project wouldn't be a better plane to fly but still highly distinctive The BB17 looked horribly underpowered in the video that I saw.

TXFlyGuy

Oh...I can hear the gossip now!

Victor Bravo

The Bally Bomber is an ideal museum piece. Any small museum that cannot afford the cost or space of a full size B-17, but wants to have an impressive display of smaller WW2 memorabilia. They get a local used car business tycoon to buy it, then have it appraised at the highest possible value, donate it to the museum (which immediately becomes the Bubba J.Tycoon Community Historical Center... forever), and the tycoon gets all his money back at tax time.

pictsidhe

VB, you are sneaky. It would indeed be a good small museum piece. I doubt that it would be appraised in 6 figures, though. If it was a bit less asthmatic, certain places would house and fly it.

Toobuilder

Log Member
Museum pieces generally need provenance to have any credibility. From a historical pespective, this airplane has less in common with WW-II than a 1/72 scale plastic model of the Memphis Belle.

billyvray

Considering I saw a Wiley Early Bird Jenny in the Air Force museum in Warner Robins, Ga, this would suffice for some places.