• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Axial crankshaft forces + Propeller help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RenaatXS

(LOOK AT POST #15, I HAVE UPLOADED A HD MOVIE WITH THE ENGINE ALL TUNED SO IT FINALLY REACHES 3000 RPM WITH A 48x17 PROPELLER)

Hello,

I know my engine isn't a half VW, but it is very similar to it.
It's a French made Citroën 2CV (subtype M28/AM2) engine.

optulz.jpg

-4-stroke opposed twin
-602cc
-9.1:1 compression ratio
-stock 32hp at 5500 rpm.
-Manufactured from 1968 to 1983

I bought two very ugly engines for €50/60$ at a local Citroën garage. I took them apart and combined the best of both to one engine. Also, I've installed electronic ignition and Mikuni 34mm carbs. Because I took off the flywheel, forced air cooling, etc., it weighs 37kgs/80 lbs now.

j79ic5.jpg

2ag0sir.jpg

2skdk.jpg

I bolted my engine onto the back of my homemade kart, so I can try props "dynamically".
53747c.jpg

33bgy9j.jpg

oj43zq.jpg

2exsvnt.jpg

2qcjnyq.jpg

This is my worn out crankshaft, the good one is in the engine. As you can see, the right bearing can pick up some axial forces. The left bearing is stronger for radial forces, so that's where the prop should come.
But now my question is: Is the right bearing good enough to support 50kgs/100 lbs of axial thrust? Or should I add an external bearing? This seems very dificult to me, because I think the slide bearings should not be forced to run onto one side because the external bearing is not perfectly aligned...

Yesterday I've made the propeller hub out of aluminum.

aa7xns.jpg

2ebd2eq.jpg

2zp8exc.jpg

The cap can be removed when access is needed to the 5 crankshaft bolts. After thightening those bolts, just put the cap back on with the 1" centering tap on it.

Any propositions on what type of direct drive pusher propeller I should use? The engine is running counterclockwise.

Last edited:
Back