• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Airplane For Sale Avid Catalina Project N157AB $5000

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowlove

Supporting Member
pics at Avid Catalina Seaplane Amphibian PROJECT - aviation - by owner -...

Avid Catalina Amphibious Seaplane project. TTAF 268 hours, Rotax "Rotax Rick" 670 TTSN 2 hours. Warp Drive 3-blade 68" TTSN 268. Last annual 8/2016 at Ace Aviation, last flight 8/2017. Complete log books, construction logs, and kit instructions/materials. Flown extensively out of KBFI, 2S1, S43, and Lake Washington from 2015-2017.

The first 8 pictures show the project's current and not-airworthy condition. The remaining pictures are of the glory days. 1st flight:

It came home in 2017 for an engine swap, I started too many additional projects on it, and it got away from me and has sat for a while.

The Airworthiness Cert was valid until it was deregistered for non-renewal. It can be renewed, I believe it does not require a new FAA/DAR airworthiness inspection.

Several significant projects need to be completed by you in order to make it airworthy. I expect everything to add up to at least a good 6-month effort.

1) Radiator relocation: finish designing, locating and fabricating radiator installation. Cooling system design is tricker than I thought it would be. Radiator sketched in place enough to start/run engine.
2) Canopy redesign: was working on my 2nd redesign of the canopy, nothing but drawings in place, old canopy discarded.
3) Design/fabricate mounts for new Full Lotus brand poly sponsons (sponsons are included).
4) Finish redesign of landing gear retract mechanism. Fabricated/installed enough to be functional for moving plane and demonstrating actuation. Needs design/fabrication of either a manual crank handle or electric motor.
5) Minor fiberglass hull repair on keel
6) Thorough survey of frame and fabric condition

Useful load before all this work was 444#, I anticipated the projects would all save weight.

Includes additional running-when-pulled core Rotax 582 280TTSN with logbook

A standard 8x12' flat deck trailer will move it easily to its new home.

I'm really sad about letting it go, and am pricing it low so the sale is quick and painless and I don't have to spend too much time crawling all over it with you. I'd love to start the motor for you and walk you through the plane, but will need to limit the show-and-tell to about an hour. The market value of the motors and prop alone come close to the sale price. I loved this plane and will regret not getting it back in the air/water for the rest of my life. It does every mission of the Icon A5 with two less zeros in the price, and at 80 knots there's 50% more time to enjoy everything.

Last edited:
Back