Aviation Communities in Florida

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Peterson

While I originally grew up in Texas, and have been living in Missouri for a while due to military obligations, I am thinking Florida has a lot to offer as far as aviation communities. I have only ever spent time in Orlando, Pensacola, and Tampa, but have liked all three of those places. I take online classes from a university in Daytona which had me looking at the Port Orange area, but Lakeland and Miami also look attractive.

What are some good aviation communities in Florida to look into for retirement? I would ideally like to live within 5 miles of a municipal GA airport and buy a house for under $200K (military pays respectably, but it won't make me wealthy). I might buy the house sooner and rent it out to cover the mortgage until I can retire and move in, but I would like a few ideas for places to go see over the summer to look at for settling down at.

Also, what is cost of living like (average utilities, state and local tax, fuel and vehicle registration, etc.) for Florida?

Thanks

MikePousson

Others living n Fl can answer better than me, but I think homeowners insurance premiums took a dramatic turn upward after several hurricanes went thru several years ago. Same as all states on the gulf coast now. Probably a lot of plusses, but no state income tax has to be nice.

BJC

HBA Supporter
While I originally grew up in Texas, and have been living in Missouri for a while due to military obligations, I am thinking Florida has a lot to offer
Glad to see that you decided to upgrade. :)

What are some good aviation communities in Florida to look into for retirement? I would ideally like to live within 5 miles of a municipal GA airport and buy a house for under $200K (military pays respectably, but it won't make me wealthy). I might buy the house sooner and rent it out to cover the mortgage until I can retire and move in, but I would like a few ideas for places to go see over the summer to look at for settling down at.
Start here: Aviation Realty And More, LLC Call Judie and tell her what you want and what your budget is. She knows the market, lives at an airpark, and has a Luscombe and an RV-12. Tell her that BJC referred you.

The locations that are nearer to shopping, dining, entertainment and health care cost more than the others. Be sure to check covenants - some places, such as where I live, do not allow you to put a hangar on a lot without a house, and the hangars must match the house architecturally. No metal sided buildings, Quonset hut hangars, etc., allowed. At others, you can do almost anything style-wise, but you will need to comply with the state building code.

I looked all over, and retired to 97FL. We recently have had people relocate here from Leeward Air Ranch and Spruce Creek.

I'm curious about your desire to be within 5 miles of a municipal GA airport.

Also, what is cost of living like (average utilities, state and local tax, fuel and vehicle registration, etc.) for Florida?
Utilities vary depending on your house and life style. State plus local option sales tax here is 7%. There is no Florida income tax. Our total tax burden here is about a third of what it was in the People's Republic of North Carolina. Gasoline has been all over recently: was $1.65 a gallon a month ago, is $1.98 a gallon now. The only painful tax is a one-time tax on bringing an airplane into the state. Google it for details. I don't want to talk about it.

BJC

BJC

HBA Supporter
.... homeowners insurance premiums took a dramatic turn upward after several hurricanes went thru several years ago. Same as all states on the gulf coast now. Probably a lot of plusses, but no state income tax has to be nice.
Correct you are.

BJC

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Others living n Fl can answer better than me, but I think homeowners insurance premiums took a dramatic turn upward after several hurricanes went thru several years ago. Same as all states on the gulf coast now. Probably a lot of plusses, but no state income tax has to be nice.
There's always the other coast. Same overall climate, no hurricanes. If you stay away from the metro and major sub-urban areas the cost of living is at least tolerable, and who's afraid of a little earthjiggle? :grin:

bmcj

HBA Supporter
No interest in going back to Texas? I know that Texas has a plethora of aviation communities, particularly in the Dallas and Austin areas.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Glad to see that you decided to upgrade. :)

Start here: Aviation Realty And More, LLC Call Judie and tell her what you want and what your budget is. She knows the market, lives at an airpark, and has a Luscombe and an RV-12. Tell her that BJC referred you.

The locations that are nearer to shopping, dining, entertainment and health care cost more than the others. Be sure to check covenants - some places, such as where I live, do not allow you to put a hangar on a lot without a house, and the hangars must match the house architecturally. No metal sided buildings, Quonset hut hangars, etc., allowed. At others, you can do almost anything style-wise, but you will need to comply with the state building code.

I looked all over, and retired to 97FL. We recently have had people relocate here from Leeward Air Ranch and Spruce Creek.

I'm curious about your desire to be within 5 miles of a municipal GA airport.

Utilities vary depending on your house and life style. State plus local option sales tax here is 7%. There is no Florida income tax. Our total tax burden here is about a third of what it was in the People's Republic of North Carolina. Gasoline has been all over recently: was $1.65 a gallon a month ago, is $1.98 a gallon now. The only painful tax is a one-time tax on bringing an airplane into the state. Google it for details. I don't want to talk about it.

BJC
Was going to say something, but better keep my mouth shut.

TFF

A friend moved to Florida and now the son of a gun is flying his RC planes almost every day in the winter. Said it was a 20 year mistake not moving 20 years ago.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Not for me. If I have to go, can't wait to leave. Rather live somewhere like WY. I'm a farm boy.

Peterson

No interest in going back to Texas? I know that Texas has a plethora of aviation communities, particularly in the Dallas and Austin areas.
I grew up in DFW and lived in Austin for a while. I still go back now and then to see family, but Texas has passed a few regulations since I got stationed in Missouri that makes me a bit wary. There's some nice parts of Texas, but I think Florida wins on overall "relaxed" atmosphere (probably due to the parts of Florida I've actually visited though).

MikePousson

I grew up and lived a long time in Louisiana. If I were to move after I retired(?) I'd go back to Louisiana with its taxes, hurricanes, tornados, eroding coastline, and crooked politicians. Ground rattling, no thanks. I like at least a five minute warning before something or someone tries to do me in. Plus, there is still an airstrip and I can build right next to it as little or big as I want. No covenants on a rice farm.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Was going to say something, but better keep my mouth shut.
Some things that I have learned from living around the south east USA, and a fair amount of domestic and international travel over the years:

I have found good people everywhere.

I have found people that I do not want to be around everywhere.

States are not uniform; they have good cities and towns, and ones that I would not live in or near; they have different geographical areas, some that I like, and some that I don't; they have areas with political attitudes that I like, and that I don't like.

Most people do not know that the part of Florida where I live even exists. We have rolling hills, live oak trees everywhere, springs, lakes and rivers, horse ranches, citrus groves and forests. We have some very nice communities for those who prefer that lifestyle. We have lots of residential airparks, private runways and public airports. And we have outstanding weather for flying all year.

Just as I do not judge all of WV by the violent crime rate in Charleston, I encourage others not to judge all of Florida by the tourist areas you may have visited.

BJC

MikePousson

Plus one on the above. If one is judging a state to move to, you need to go to the area where tourists don't go. Taking FL as an example, my druthers would be central Florida between Lake City down to The Lady Lakes region.
I live in a village of about 1200 folks and most are good, but there are some I won't let on my property. Just the way of the world. Closest city has 150,000 in it, and my business there is strictly on a need to go (medical) arrangement.

Peterson

Plus one on the above. If one is judging a state to move to, you need to go to the area where tourists don't go. Taking FL as an example, my druthers would be central Florida between Lake City down to The Lady Lakes region.
I live in a village of about 1200 folks and most are good, but there are some I won't let on my property. Just the way of the world. Closest city has 150,000 in it, and my business there is strictly on a need to go (medical) arrangement.
Fair enough.

I plan on seeing a few different aviation communities in Florida over the summer just to get a feel for the area and see if it is a place I would enjoy living. I was just hoping to get some insight from some of the people on HBA on what their impressions/recommendations of the multitude of aviation communities in Florida are. Spruce Creek looks pretty good (close to my school) but I'm sure there are lots of great options. Pics might help.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Fair enough.

I plan on seeing a few different aviation communities in Florida over the summer just to get a feel for the area and see if it is a place I would enjoy living. I was just hoping to get some insight from some of the people on HBA on what their impressions/recommendations of the multitude of aviation communities in Florida are. Spruce Creek looks pretty good (close to my school) but I'm sure there are lots of great options. Pics might help.

Review post #3.

Each airpark has its own character. You need to match what you want to the character of the airpark. Warbirds? Ultralights? Homebuilts? EAA chapter on field? Fly-in at the field? Cirrus class? Twins / jets? Aerobatics? Airplanes alone, or airplanes plus an active, interesting, socializing group of people?

PM me and I will categorize some for you.

BJC

Kevin N

A friend of mine just bought a place on a residential airpark called Love's Landing. I am supposed to visit when I decide to travel to florida. I know he bought a pretty nice house and hangar for 230,000. I don't know anything about the place other than looking at the pics on their web site. For me I'm fine living almost anywhere as long as I can live away from the large populations. I prefer rural country settings. I don't need a starbucks and wally world on every corner. Now that I'm retired I often don't leave my property for several days at a time. As far as violent crime, its everywhere. Every state is full of wannabe gangsta's. I'm always prepared, especially when I travel in to the city.

Edit: ooops, just looked up your Identifer BJC. What a coincidence.

BJC

HBA Supporter
A friend of mine just bought a place on a residential airpark called Love's Landing. I am supposed to visit when I decide to travel to florida. Edit: ooops, just looked up your Identifer BJC. What a coincidence.
Tell Dave that you have an invitation for Friday fire pit coffee.

BJC

Kevin N

I usually communicate with Dave through his brother. I'm waiting for him to get here now as we want to take advantage of the sunny warm wx and ride our motorcycles. Small world we have in aviation.

Reactions: BJC

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Yes, a small world. I was introduced to Judie onetime. I know one of her neighbors.

Dan

PTAirco

The thing about airparks that deters me is the HOA-type of regulatory body that goes with it. They would all have fits if they saw what I do in a hangar and most would raise a fuss even if all you did was change your oil. Minimum house sizes - why do I need 1800 sq.ft of living space? I need at least 1800 sq.ft of workshop space, yes, but not to live in. And, no, you can't build your hangar first. All that kind of stuff is not very encouraging if you intend to do more than just park an airplane there. Letter complaining that your trash cans were left out 1.4 hours too long and that your grass is over the prescribed 2.1" maximum height... Maybe there are others out there that don't have covenants and restrictions like that, but there can't be many.