• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Avex vs Cherry Q Rivets (and possibly Others)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Kay

Hello;

I am quite curious about whether a metal aircraft can be made with pulled rivets. The quick answer seems to be yes, if you design it like this from the beginning. Chris Heintz of Zenith says Avez rivets are used to replace solid rivets at a ratio of 5 Avex to 3 solids. He says lots of stuff on his site about Avex rivets, the UK ones being the best, his custom tool for setting them, etc.

However, in looking at Aircraft Spruce's site, they also sell Cherry "Q" rivets. I'm most interested in the countersunk as I'd like the finish to be smooth.

I would like to use them everywhere, including on the wings skins, on a scale (70 to 75%) metal P-51 Mustang, if I ever go ahead with the project. It appears that A/C Spruce only has the 1/8" Cherry Q rivets. The site has this info about the Q type:

HIGH SHEAR STRENGTH
Cherry Q Rivet mandrel plugs the entire length of the rivet sleeve, providing full shear strength values for structural or load-bearing applications.

SEALING CAPABILITY
Specially designed mandrel of the Q Rivet is engineered to effect a seal, upon installation which offers resistance to leakage.

VIBRATION RESISTANT
Rivet sleeve curls over end of mandrel to insure its positive retention.

So, questions:

1. Does this mean they are stronger then Avex, and acceptable for structure? It seems to be the case, given the text.
2. Are there corrosion concerns about the mandrel left behind in the rivet?
3. If you were determined to use pull-type rivets for the entire aircraft, would you use the Cherry Q over the Avex?

Any related info is most welcome. My reasoning for pull rivets is noise reduction, and one-man operation. Also blind hole access is handy.

I did read all I could in this forum about pulled rivets before starting this thread, and despite lots of mention of these types, I still have no firm direction for my questions above.

Thanks to all ! Tom.

Back