• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

automotive paints, anyone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rv7charlie

Supporting Member
Not interested in clearcoat processes.
Anyone have experience with the less expensive single stage automotive paints; either multi-part urethanes, or the older acrylic enamel tech?
Stuff like Eastwood, Dupli Color, Summit, etc.
I need at least some perspective on appearance compared to the high end automotive urethanes. Summit's single stage literature implies that it can be topcoated, leading one to question the finish quality when used single stage. Talking to them was no help; they hedged & said 'it varies by color'.

I started an earlier thread about vinyl covering (thanks for the great perspectives), and would like to get input on the less expensive paints. Looks like materials costs will be about the same, and for a minimally experienced painter like me (painted a Kolb with latex house paint), I figure that the big flat surfaces would be easier to wrap but the complex curved stuff *might* be easier to paint, and the cowl/wheel pants will probably survive better if painted. Which raises the question of whether any of the less expensive paints would be available from local vendors and could be color matched (to the vinyl).

Thanks for any perspective you can offer.
Charlie

Back