automotive paints, anyone?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

dwalker

self serving Rhetoric/

I get that you have no idea how paint works, and I have zero interest in educating someone as combative as you.

I did, however post earlier about PPG's warnings regarding specific clearcoats and how they are to be applied. Maybe do some research.

User27

I work on Diamond & Grob aircraft and also gliders. They re all painted with auto paint. The Diamond maintenance manuals are available on their website, I have included an extract below from the DA42NG manual.
Mostly this is for damage/crash repairs.
We occasionally use clear coat to make the registration letters completely smooth to the touch (a lot of additional work = expensive).
This is all 2K solvent paint, we very rarely use water based paints.

[From 51-30-00 p8]
(4) Coating Paint
(a) White
Type : PPG Turbo Plus 493; Color 6-KVW (white)
Manufacturer : PPG Deutschland
Supplier : Nexa Autocolor der PPG Austria Handels GmbH

Type : MIPA PUR HS
Manufacturer : MIPA Professional Coating System AG
Supplier : MIPA Professional Coating System AG

Type : Dupont Imron AF400
Manufacturer : E.I. DUPONT DE NEMOURS & CO
Supplier : E.I. DUPONT DE NEMOURS & CO
WILMINGTON, DE 19898

Type : Dupont Imron 5000
Manufacturer : E.I. DUPONT DE NEMOURS & CO

Type : BASF UNO
Manufacturer : BASF
Supplier : BASF CANADA INC.

b) Other Colors
Type : Refer to Section 51-20 [shows where colour may be applied]
Manufacturer : MIPA Professional Coating System AG

Last edited:

PTAirco

An example of automotive clear coat applied over Polytone. Looked great for a few months then this nasty fungus started growing underneath. (That gray stuff isn't dust or dirt.) There is virtually no clear coat left.
20210724_112113.jpg

TFF

What ever the mechanism is, you are not supposed to spray clear of any type on fabric for the growth like that.

PTAirco

That's wild. Is that a fabric or wood covering?
It's Polyfiber fabric. Covering was done correctly according to the manual. Then after it weathered a little, somebody decided to make it look nicer and shot clear coat over it, not sure what brand, but it came from an auto parts store.

Interestingly, many years ago Polyfiber offered its own brand clear coat, because Polytone top coats don't have much of a gloss to them and that's what people wanted. They took it off the market pretty quickly after they realized that this stuff starts growing under there. I have some vintage cans of the stuff at my shop and I'm tempted to do a test panel and set it outside and see what happens.

dwalker

I honestly cannot think of any reason in the world I would want to try and paint fabric with automotive paint.

TFF

The advantage if it would not crack is it would cost half as much, easier to spray, shiny. There are a couple of shops doing high end custom fabric homebuilt planes, and they are using industrial fleet paint. They use to use industrial floor paint until the EPA made selling it illegal.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
The owner of Polyfiber told me there is no UV stable clear coat.
Was that Jon or Ray?

PolyFiber does have a UV additive for clear and color coats (or at least did… I assume they still do). It was for builders who want to simulate the old uncolored cotton or muslin or don’t want the extra weight of a silver coat. I don’t think it was quite as protective as the traditional silver, but it did provide protection.

Last edited:

dwalker

The advantage if it would not crack is it would cost half as much, easier to spray, shiny. There are a couple of shops doing high end custom fabric homebuilt planes, and they are using industrial fleet paint. They use to use industrial floor paint until the EPA made selling it illegal.
I could see using a cross linked and flexible industrial or similar paint on fabric I guess. I guess with the right flex additive it would be OK. Weird about the mold or rot under it.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Jon. He didn't sound happy about the question.
Hmmm, I wonder why? Perhaps because builders are using it with auto household paint to avoid the higher cost of aircraft dope? I agree, unless you want the undyed look or are severely weight restricted, a poly spray silver coat is with its weight in gold.

As for me, I’m a big supporter of the PolyFiber process, and I always recommend Polytone with a good Polybrush (clear) and Polyspray (silver) base.

Last edited:

PTAirco

I honestly cannot think of any reason in the world I would want to try and paint fabric with automotive paint.
People keep on trying. I work on stuff every day where someone used some mystery paint on fabric. "But it's got 'flex agents' added!!" Still cracks and falls off eventually. "But I used Jet-glo! That's an aircraft paint!" Yeah...for airliners, not fabric. "But it's a factory paint job! 2012!" - Well, then the factory did a stupid thing...

Now, if someone asks me if I can "fix" their cracking and peeling fabric paintjobs, I just start cackling uncontrollably and start backing away....

Stearman fabric.jpg