Quantcast

Autogyro idea ( One Off Personal Use )

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Barron

Hello every one. I have been lurking for a while reading posts when I have a chance. I have flown fixed wing since 2000 and I have recently become interested in gyrocopters so a buddy of mine introduced me to a guy with a 2 place gyrocopter a few months ago. We took a few flights and I took the controls and did several touch and goes. I got the hang of it pretty quick. So fast forward 6 months and I have been thinking about buying or building and I have decided to build. Now dont laugh ( you can call me crazy though ) but I woke up one night with a picture in my mind of what I might want. I am thinking of a Open Ez fuselage, gear, canopy, controls, ( but no wing strakes, have to come up with fuel tank"s" somewhere ) and using this for the "starting point" of my gyro. This will not be an ultralight. What are your thoughts on the matter. Also I have a pretty thick skin so tell me what you really think.

ez.jpg

Lots of good material here!

Thanks Guys

Barron

highspeed

The very first thing that you must deal with in gyros is weight. This is always your biggest performance killer!
You could also say:"The very first thing you must deal with in aircraft is weight. This is always your biggest performance killer!"

Toss your parts in the air, if they come down, they're too heavy. Redesign and try again.:gig:

Barron

I would really love to have it looking like the X2 but when you put that shaft and prop in the back, the whole game changes.

Barron

you know, I looked at that one also, but my brain was scrambled over the "egg" look. Thanks for the suggestion Skier.

joe nelson

Highspeed, A gyro is greatly more subject to weight an an airplane or other aircraft! The reason being it's 5.5 to 1 L/D ratio. A 550 lb. gyro produces a hundred pounds of drag requiring that you'll need around 30 HP just to overcome the drag! Sorry it can out so vague.

highspeed

I knew that a gyro developed more drag than a comparable fixed wing. Hanging a big rotor out in the breeze does that. I always like to point out that weight is the enemy in any application.