Auto Rod Controls (ARC) Flat Touch Controls

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by cluttonfred, Feb 7, 2018.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Feb 7, 2018 #1

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

I stumbled across these switch panels and relay units that appear to have been used in race cars for decades. Other than probably needing to switch out the blade fuses for resettable breakers, these seem like a pretty neat and simple solution for a homebuilt electrical panel. There is also a similar series with black switches and glow-in-the-dark borders and on/off markings. Anyone have any experience with them or other feedback to offer?

http://www.autorod.net/Flattouchcontrols.html

http://www.jegs.com/p/ARC-Auto-Rod-...ch-Control-Panels-Accessories/757613/10002/-1

https://www.summitracing.com/search...ols/product-line/arc-flat-touch-switch-panels

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019
  2. Feb 7, 2018 #2

BJC

BJC

BJC

Why would you replace the fuses with breakers?

BJC

rv6ejguy likes this.
  3. Feb 7, 2018 #3

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

I suppose because I was thinking that resettable breakers were required in aircraft because it's harder to pull over to change a fuse. ;-) I had in mind the little breakers that can actually slot in the same holders as automotive blade fuses.

I actually had a brief exchange with the company earlier today and learned that there is no indication of a blown fuse at the switch panel since the switches just operate the relays. So another idea I had was to leave the relay panel accessible and in view under a transparent cover and use the blade fuses that light up an internal LED when they blow.

I am the first to admit that I don't know much about aircraft electrical systems. Are people using disposable fuses in experimental aircraft?

4. Feb 7, 2018 #4

BJC

BJC

BJC

Yes. Fuses are an inexpensive, light weight and reliable method of protecting the wiring.

BJC

flyinut likes this.
  5. Feb 7, 2018 #5

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

23.1357 covers fuses. The automatic re-seting fuses like in automobiles are prohibited in certified. There are times when you don't want the circuit reactivating.

mcrae0104 likes this.
  6. Feb 7, 2018 #6

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Yes, I was not referring to automatic reset, but manual reset, like these: https://www.delcity.net/store/ATO:ATC-Low-Profile-Breakers/p_823684.h_795455

One interesting feature of these ARC panels is the option to plug in a switch sub-panel to duplicate the four switches on a remote panel. It's meant for race cars to be able to run the important functions from under the hood, but it seems like you could also use it to provide at least some duplicate switches in a tandem two-seat aircraft if desired.

7. Feb 8, 2018 #7

TFF

TFF

TFF

In reality it's not going to matter. Airlines have a one try if it will relatch then leave it alone. I did have a friend that had a double engine failure in a DASH 8. They only got one engine restarted ; the captain held the CB in while my friend flew. Most complex airplanes have a mix depending on circuit need. Without IFR. It's not going to matter.

cluttonfred likes this.
  8. Feb 8, 2018 #8

gtae07

gtae07

gtae07

When fuses and breakers blow, there's a reason. Resetting them could cause worse problems. Unless you really need it to land safely, just leave it and play technician on the ground.

Back on topic, these look pretty cool, but having it drive remote relays for everything adds to the complexity (says the guy planning full EFI and eventually IFR glass for his airplane).

cluttonfred likes this.