• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Australian Opal and others

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aircar

Opal amphib 1976.jpgRick McWilliams asked about posting a photo of the Opal so, with a lot of help from a friend here is a scan of a couple of photos from the deep archives .
It was illegal to build both aircraft in Australia -- without fully complying with FAR 23 and additional fatigue tests full flutter survey etc BEFORE any test flight being allowed --there was no experimental category until 1999 --only imported kits and designs (plans) were totally exempt from certification --the story would require a book but not here.

The Opal was intended to be amphibious and rough dirt field capable hence the "platypus tail" shielding the prop (and fold down rear fuselage panels ) --the hull was not yet built in in this photo nor the mid wing floats --similar to Molt Taylor's Coot in floatwing with outriggers folding into the float blisters . Stiletto was flown in 1983 and resulted in me being prosecuted (again) --wings destroyed but I still have the fuselage and canard in the trailer --built a sidecar from the molds also and I will see if I can send some more photos . these are relatively conventional aerodynamics but this thread might be easiest to direct them to . Hope this sends OK.
Opal artwork.jpgStiletto.jpg

Attachments

• Opal amphib 1976.jpg
    Opal amphib 1976.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 356
Back