Augmented Reality in Aviation

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
But that set of math is based on the assumption of - adjacent - resistors, not 2 randomly selected resistors.

Besides you only get 1 point, not 2 or 3, for the FOOOM. I'm not a mathematician, just an HBA nut. The infinite series solution was the way I was thinking but I didn't know if it had a limit.

bifft

Thanks for the notes. That North Star one looks just what I was wanting. (As if I need another project). But the hardware isn't really available yet.

I didn't think that the mirror alone could do the infinite distance focus, but reading up on red dot sights it looks like a curved mirror can.

The Epson has only a 23 degree field of view, so not up to what I was hoping for.

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
I would urge caution on any AR glasses that are not yet on the market, and even on some that are. This is a shrinking field, not expanding, as AR companies have been going bankrupt, now down to 4, I believe.

Developing AR glasses cannot be done with some math and off the shelf hardware, it is really difficult. As in, $150 million and 100 engineers, plus outsourcing some of the R&D, might get you to the "still might go bankrupt but have a product" stage. I, and two coworkers, worked as outsourced R&D for one of these companies, and we worked on a tiny, tiny part of the problem. It took the 3 of us a year. The problem is not one that a layman would even consider, but is critical. The end result was just good enough but definitely not optimal. I can't go into more detail than this, but trust me, infinity focused images are far more difficult than they seem.

Intel abandoned their AR glasses several months after demonstrating them. Small companies are fighting a steep uphill battle.

Reactions: rdj

bifft

I would urge caution on any AR glasses that are not yet on the market, and even on some that are. This is a shrinking field, not expanding, as AR companies have been going bankrupt, now down to 4, I believe.
Thanks for some input from the inside. Agrees with what I think of the field. If I decide to go anywhere on this it will be after a model that meets my specs is a commodity product.

Hephaestus

If you believe the fish wrappers... The latest iOS release included a lot of AR enhancements aimed at a glasses style device.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
What about people like me, only hearing on the right side . Lost hearing on left side from a building that I was in exploded from an collection of Acetylene gas in an elevator shaft. Don't remember it. I can't tell sound directions. Some frequencies I hear 80% and some just 20%. Nice and quiet where I live.
Had you known the VR goggles were in your future, you wouldn’t have gone and got yerself blowed up! :)

Last edited:

BBerson

HBA Supporter
I think another approach is a laser that paints a circle around the traffic inside the airplane on the windshield.

BBerson

HBA Supporter
Nah, the laser goes right through the transparent window and hits the other plane. :rolleyes:

(see, I didn't forget the silly smilie)

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
Nah, the laser goes right through the transparent window and hits the other plane.
So the warning is for the pilot of the other plane.
If you notice a flash followed by a brand new blind spot in your vision while flying, assume BBerson's plane is in the middle of the blind spot.

BBerson

HBA Supporter
I think the laser would focus only at about 4 feet ;)
Someone told me there was an entire laser heads up display projected on the windscreen.

bifft

It might be better to start with the Hudly, such as GRT Avionics is using. Not full AR, but much more benign failure mode.
A HUD would be relatively easy. Could be built similar to a Telrad telescope sight.

AR goggles should also just revert to being expensive and heavy sunglasses on failure.